New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Security Update 2007-005

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Apple has just released Security Update 2007-005

Here are some of the details as to what is being updated:

With its fifth security update for 2007, Apple patches 17 flaws

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

remltr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema

Don't know if the problem I have just encountered on two OSX computers is related to this security update, but it sure is timely if not.

Both computers on login went to a darwin/bsd screen and would not let me get to the OSX interface.

exiting would just reboot right back to darwin

did the update this morning at about 9 am and both computers went to darwin by 4 pm.

anybody else experience this?
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

It acted funky to me, but it wasn't bad. I updated it, and it started to reboot. It seemed to hang, not a very nice thing given that I was going to be reading a story to my daughter from here. I pushed the power button and held it until it rebooted. It was slow to boot, but it eventually came up to the normal OS X login screen. I logged in, read to the kiddo, and did a disk verify (disk utility, verify) and all was fine.

Hmmm... maybe I'll shut it down and see what it does. Brb...

UPDATE

Everything worked fine.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by remltr View Post
Don't know if the problem I have just encountered on two OSX computers is related to this security update, but it sure is timely if not.

Both computers on login went to a darwin/bsd screen and would not let me get to the OSX interface.

exiting would just reboot right back to darwin

did the update this morning at about 9 am and both computers went to darwin by 4 pm.

anybody else experience this?
Intels or PPCs?

QUOTE Thanks
remltr

sorry about the lack of info - rushing around reinstalling the OS.

both are ppc - powerbook g4 and macmini
running 10.4.9 - at least they were
will now have to redownload the 168mb update for the os
hopefully it won't include this security update.

i won't even try the security update on my other macmini "intel" until i hear some more responses.
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

downloaded and installed the 10.4.9 update on the powerbook g4 ppc and so far all is ok.

the macmini ppc still needs the update.

haven't rechecked for security updates yet. that will have to wait until later when i get back to work. hopefully the update from yesterday remained in place and the reinstall of the OS fixed the problem that security update caused. assuming of course that the update is the culprit.

it's just weird that both computers ended up with the same issue after the update.

I apologize in advance to Apple if it in fact had nothing to do with it. Just can't seem to find any other culprit.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

My G4 restarted twice after I clicked on restart when the update finished. The gear spun for a long time during each.

I figured the update might have killed the caches to get the security fixes in place immediately, and the second restart was built in to reclaim the extra RAM used to restart the thing the first time without the caches and rewrite them. But I dunno.

The two restarts weren't the first time it had happened after an update, so I didn't worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

My G4 iBook booted a bit slower than usual, but nothing horrendous. This has been the norm for updates with 10.4 though.

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

Using Applejack, I dumped the caches, including the stuff in my user's cache. The screen rolled on forever with the latest update junk still stored in my user's cache, almost as much as shows up after I lose my mind and run Safari.

Flush the caches and see if it makes any difference to the boot time if it's still slow. If it is, maybe there's a link somewhere slowing it down, since it seems to have been a complicated update.
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

Well I got both my ppc g4 and ppc macmini up and running again.

Checked for a software update and there was the security update for this month waiting. Not going to go there.

I think it might be an issue for the ppc. My intel macmini rebooted fine.
Just to clarify a little. Both my ppc's ran for most of the work day. The G4 I was logging out and in multiple times. The macmini I only restarted after I noticed the problem with the G4. That is when that one booted into the darwin/bsd screen as well and would not reboot to the OSX interface.
This was several hours after the security update was run and both computers had been running for awhile.

You guys who are reporting no problem other than the slow boots after updates, are you running ppc's or intel's? If you are running ppc, have you restarted or logged in after several hours up and running since the update? If you are all running intel then I might be correct. If you are running ppc's or a mix then something else probably happened to both computers but I'll be darned if I know what.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

I'm running a G4, and have had the thing up for hours, have restarted to boot into 9, and restarted back in X again. I updated yesterday.

When you ran the update, was any app running as well? If so, that might cause a problem, or so I've read. Were all your machines running the same particular app(s), if they were, when they updated?

I also ran a fsck -fy before the update, to make sure nothing was wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

Brown,

No, the were no apps running during the update.

I am going to run the security update again on this machine (macmini) after I logoff here and see what happens over the weekend. This machine is the least difficult to bring back to life if necessary. I'll do the other one if all works on this one.

Thanks for the reply.

remltr
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

i updated and everything seems great!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ditto!

Just followed the usual procedure (making backup with SuperDuper! to external hd, unplugging all peripherals and restarting for the installation of the update). The iMac restarted twice after the update. All is cool and stable and working nicely.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Ditto!

Just followed the usual procedure (making backup with SuperDuper! to external hd, unplugging all peripherals and restarting for the installation of the update). The iMac restarted twice after the update. All is cool and stable and working nicely.
I just updated my Quad and did none of those things and it worked fine, although it did do the double reboot thing.

What's next, wave chicken bones and burn incense while chanting during an update? Whatever happened to the old "It just works" saying? One person had an issue. Has anyone looked at Apples support site to see if there are widespread reports of issues or was this just one isolated incident?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost Admin Password | Apple System Update - USB Keyboard/Mouse Problem »