New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Question mark has appeared in finder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve1401

steve1401 is on a distinguished road

Hi

A question mark has appeared in finder next to the page forward/backward buttons. Has anyone an idea why and how to fix?

This is what I mean...
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...l/Picture2.png
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Do those backward/forward arrows still function?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi steve1401.

When did this first happen? Had you installed a haxie or any other software just before? Did you try any troubleshooting on your own or did you report here right after this happened?

For instance, did you run MainMenu's Cleaning tasks? I would clean out User Cache and System Cache - Deep Clean. You will need to restart after you are through though.

Don't worry if you find the restart takes longer than usual, the system will be rebuilding its cache from scratch and it takes a bit longer.

Report back to let us know how this goes. If it isn't fixed, it might be a pref file somewhere...
QUOTE Thanks
steve1401

Thanks for the responses...

Yes, the forward/backward buttons work fine, in fact there is nothing faulty as far as I can see other than the odd "?"

I've only just noticed this, but that isn't to say I've just not noticed it till now and it's been like that for a while?? The only recent software I have installed is OmniGraffle and OmniPlan. I have tried removing the MS Office trial.

I will try the clean cache suggestion, but this will not be for an hour or so as it's my work machine I'm having the issue...

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Just 'cause I'm curious... Could the question mark be in the place of something that was part of Micro$oft Office? Like did M$ have a button that went in that exact same spot?

And good luck with this. Let us know how it went.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

as macheadcase said

i reckon its a button that an application has placed there and has since be moved or unistalled which may cause an error like the one you are having.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

You can't right-click (or Control click) it and select "Remove Item"??

Or perhaps "Customize Toolbar" then drag the question mark off the toolbar?

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1401 View Post
Thanks for the responses...

Yes, the forward/backward buttons work fine, in fact there is nothing faulty as far as I can see other than the odd "?"

I've only just noticed this, but that isn't to say I've just not noticed it till now and it's been like that for a while?? The only recent software I have installed is OmniGraffle and OmniPlan. I have tried removing the MS Office trial.

I will try the clean cache suggestion, but this will not be for an hour or so as it's my work machine I'm having the issue...

Cheers
steve1401,

Did you install Butler.app? If you did and it's still running, quit it and get back to me if that Q mark has gone. Otherwise, try Command + Drag the question mark from the menubar then let it go ...
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (20.3 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
steve1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
Or perhaps "Customize Toolbar" then drag the question mark off the toolbar?
This did the job

I think the suggestion of another application installing an icon, and then removing the app was the heart of the problem. I can remember removing a trial version of a program which had long expired, so I bet that was it!

Cheers all

Steve
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Update? | DVD video taking long to encode in toast 8 »