New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - os discs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

hi there

i am thinking of reinstalling my os on my ibook (having a good clean out) and would like to know if it

a) legal
and
b) possible

to use my imac os discs as i dont know where my ibook ones are

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

anyone know ?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

So Chris, you had OS 10.4 on your iBook? I'm not sure if the Install Disc that came with your iMac are suitable for the iBook. If the discs are Retail then it would work, but your iMac possibly has a different architecture and the install discs aren't backwards compatible AFAIK.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Chris, install disks that come with a Mac are model specific so you can't use the iMac disks to install on your iBook: it will refuse to install.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

as MHC stated you can't just use any osx discs to restore as they are model specific.. you can buy them direct from apple or you could try ebay if you lost them originals.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thanks for the replies guys. i will look for them again.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

You have an intel iMac Chris and the iBook is gonna freak out if you don't feed it a PowerPC discs. (I'm pretty sure the iBooks were PowerPC)

Full Retail Install Discs are Universal, whereas the Model Specific discs just won't be recognised by anything other than the Model they came with.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You are correct Pulse, All iBooks, Powerbooks are G4 or less PPC Processors. You can not use any Intel version of OSX on a PPC Mac. You really need the disks that came with the iBook or a Full Install DVD of Tiger. The Boxed versions are not machine specific like the DVD's that come with the machines are.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

I used to have a pic of the 2 types of Install Discs but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

It would make it easier to be able to find that picture so people could see the different labels that go on them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet connectivity problems. | 10.4 RAID Mirror incompat w/10.3? »