New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mac not booting up???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ambrish

Ambrish is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 100Gb Hard disk, Mac OSx

Hi Guys,
Wonder if someone can help me please. I recently bought a MacBook Pro as I wanted to get into Mac Support as well as making movies professionally. I had to reformat it yesterday due to problems I was getting. I found that after formatting and installing Apple Updates, I had to reboot as some require you to do so.

When I was shutting down, before rebooting in my haste I powered the machine down as it wasn't donig anything and was taking a long time. Now when I turn it on, it doesn't boot... I just shows the Apple Logo and the dialer/progress circular icon... Any ideas?

I've tried getting it to boot from media but it won't and just goes to that screen mentioned above.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Have you tried Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)?

And lastly you might want to check Troubleshooting a MacBook or MacBook Pro that won't turn on if the above don't do the trick.

Good luck. Let us know how this goes.
QUOTE Thanks
Ambrish

Hiya,
I managed to get it sorted in the end... Took a complete reinstall but its fine now. Now I just had one more problem. When it boots up, it takes a while to load the apple logo and dialler screen.

I remember using the C command to boot from CD but I think that option it still on, as that the only logical explanation I can think of as to why it takes so long??

Any ideas anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

The option to boot from the Software Restore & Install DVD while pressing/holding the C key only works if the DVD is in the drive and you're holding the C key .... it will revert back to normal boot sequence otherwise. I'm not sure what to add to that since you say its a fresh install.

Maybe running Disc Utility from the Software Restore & Install DVD under the above requirements, and repairing Permissions and repairing the Hard Drive is a possible avenue in this instance. Also maybe you should run the Hardware Test too, which is also on the DVD.

Here's a link re:

Running the Hardware Test on an Intel Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Ambrish

Ok I am going to get a pasting for this ... lol

The reason it took so long was because under startup disk it was using a network startup.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac won't load operating system | Repairing OS X partition without OS X DVD »