New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mass Create/copy user accounts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James Boucher

James Boucher is on a distinguished road

Hi all...
I work in the music department of a school, and we've recently bought a pile of new MacBooks...we already have 7 iBook G4s, and just got these 7 MacBooks. I've been using macs for a few years, and am pretty good on most things to do with the hardware and OS X.

I need to set up separate user accounts for myself and all the classes, 18 accounts in all, on all of the laptops. The work that the students do doesn't need to be synchronised between the laptops as they'll use the same one each time they do work.
So the question is this...is there any way that I can set up the accounts on one computer and copy the details over to the others, without having to add the 18 accounts over and over again on each laptop, which will take quite a while!

Thanks in advance,
James
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

This is a tricky question and I'm not sure if you can escape the labour intensive aspect of your task. Unless someone here know of a way to do this you might have to just bite the bullet.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, James Boucher.

What it seems they do at school is install a fresh bootable copy of Mac OS X on an external FireWire hard drive along with Disk Utility and when the semester is done and need to start a new group, they wipe each Mac using the external and copy over the fresh install.

Edited to add:

Doh! Never mind I misread the question. Sorry. Need coffee NOW.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

In the long run you might also want to look into an OS X Server solution:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/n...rkinstall.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folders in Dock Won't Open | Files don't appear when saved/downloaded »