New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Reading/Writing to an external hdd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ddzc

ddzc is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have an external harddrive here. I need to transfer data from an xserver g5 to a windows 2003 PC. I looked around and noticed that mac's do not support the windows ntfs format, so I formatted the drive using fat32.

When I hook up the external hdd to the xserve, via usb, how can I access this drive? Should it auto-detect?

Im very new to mac's and any help would be appreciated. Im running MAC OS X Server Version 10.3.9

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ddzc

ddzc is on a distinguished road

Also, if I go in to Hardware - USB, I actually see the enclosure and the maxtor hdd so the system actually see's the hardware. How do I mount this drive and view it?

Here is another update: I hooked up this drive to another mac that I have which is running 10.4.6 and it detected and mounted the drive without any issues.

My 10.3.9 has all of the latest updates. Is there a patch or something that I must install? I also tried to install these drivers but still no luck:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Mac's can support NTFS. I have this on my MacBook.
check out the following link.
http://shadowofged.blogspot.com/search?q=ntfs-3g
It's fairly easy to setup and get going. I now move my data between OSX and NTFS depending on what I need to do. It's still in dev but it sure does work.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

If it is formatted to fat32 when you connect to the mac it should see it and place a drive icon onto the desktop...at least thats how it works on my mac book pro. I am assuming that x ser ve won't be much different.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Still locked out of terminal in Panther | Data Recovery »