New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - exe. and zip. files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scottwparker

scottwparker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display

I have a MacBook and whenever i try to download something that is a exe file or a zip compressed file nothing happens. But dmg works. What do these mean and what is the solution to this problem.

-Thanks

_scottwparker
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Well .exe files are Windows based executables and so wont run on OSX.

.Zip files are just compressed files, have you got anything like StuffIt? If not get StuffIt to decompress .zip's, .rar's, etc etc

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

an exe file is a windows executable file. OS X cannot run them (though you could under parallels or bootcamp).

i believe you should be able to open zip files, as zip is just a compression format/tool. stuffit expander may open these, but i can't say with 100% authority.

edit: symondavis beat me to it.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
scottwparker

Whenever I open the .zip file it opens or should i say tries to open and says that it is a .exe file so that explains it. but is there anything that i can buy or download to bypass this?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

like i said, to run an exe file, you need to run parallels or bootcamp. or a windows pc.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

StuffIt. 30-day trial, give it a whirl

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/deluxe/deluxemac-trial.html

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
Well .exe files are Windows based executables and so wont run on OSX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
an exe file is a windows executable file. OS X cannot run them
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwparker View Post
is there anything that i can buy or download to bypass this?
Well, you could use a Windows machine.

Seriously, it isn't going to work under OS X. You will have to use Windows to run your .exe files.
Like eric mentioned, if you have an Intel-based Mac, then you can run Windows under Parallels and that should take care of it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Maybe this guy wants to extract and burn to CD etc to use on a Windows based machine.

QUOTE Thanks
scottwparker

well, that would lead me to my next question. What are parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

ZIP files open on Any mac in my house without stuffit expander installed. Support for ZIP's Is built into OSX.

You need Stuffit Expander (FREE) to open files with the .sit extension and others like RAR.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Not 'are' but 'is'. Parallels allows an intel based Mac to run windows in various modes on the system.
Boot camp is similar but does not allow dual systems to run at the same time, but gives Windows 100% hardware access to the machine.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just booted up my Core Duo Mini. Fresh install if OSX 10.4.9 and all zip files from my XP box opened with one click!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

maybe we're asking the wrong sort of troubleshooting questions...

what is this exe file supposed to do? is it a program, script?
maybe if we knew that, we could direct you to an OS X equivelent.

QUOTE Thanks
bhill06

bhill06 is on a distinguished road

I have stuffit expander...same problems for me , but when I try to "stuff this "PFD2web" thing it says

"the file "pdf2web setup.exe" does not appear to be compressed or encoded> It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of this file".

no clue what to do
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill06 View Post
I have stuffit expander...same problems for me , but when I try to "stuff this "PFD2web" thing it says

"the file "pdf2web setup.exe" does not appear to be compressed or encoded> It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of this file".

no clue what to do
Well, the error message pretty much tells you what's up here. It's not an archive, but a Windows executable. And that means "Windows ONLY".

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Space Mystery | system preferences »