New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Newbie: Downloading apps to desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zooyorkcity

zooyorkcity is on a distinguished road

So, I have been using PC's for over a decade and I finally switched to an imac a few days ago...

I recently downloaded MoZilla Firefox and I got two files on my desktop. Mozilla and some other kind of weird file that I don't think I even need (what is this?) In the past, for PC's the file downloaded is usually a setup file. In this case, there was no install when I clicked on the downloaded file. It seemed to work right away. When I try to move the file to 'applications' it does not let me do it. Do I have to leave this on the desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You can leave it on the desktop, but you should really store it in /Applications.
If the program is running, quit it. Then try to move the icon.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
zooyorkcity

I believe I closed it and tried to move it, but it restricted me for some reason. When I get home, I can post the exact message it gave me. So there are no installs for mac programs??
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The file you downloaded was a .dmg file. It is a white file with a hard drive icon. When you open that file it expands it to a Disk Image (Looks like a white hard drive on your desktop) inside of that disk image you will see the Mozilla Firefox application. Drag the application to your Applications folder. Once that is dragged over you can eject the disk image by dragging it to the trash, and trash the .dmg file you downloaded

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
zooyorkcity

i see... .DMG file that is correct... thanks for the help.. i'm definitely learning a lot everyday...
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Here's a graphic representation of an older version of Firefox. After Firefox is loaded into the Applications folder, you can trash the files that are left, or keep the .dmg as a backup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question mark on startup??? | Problem logging in to a client removed from a network »