New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Hard drive space...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

OK, I'm curious why my hard drive is only showing as 185.99 GB when I purchased a 200 GB drive. If you all remember I had a macbook before my new macbook pro (the macbook is going to my son for his birthday in July) and it was the same thing on there (except I had a "100" GB HD on the macbook).

Thanks for input in advance!

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Humans count in decimal form, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Computers read in binary form 0's and 1's

1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes in human/decimal form...but for a computer 1 gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes (1,024 mb)

The difference between the two is 73,741,824 Bytes

For each Gigabyte that a drive manufacturer claims, they are over reporting the amount of disk space by 73,741,824 Bytes or roughly 70.3 MB of disk space. So, if a manufacturer advertises an 80 GB (80 billion bytes) hard drive, the actual disk space is around 74.5 GB of space, roughly 7% less than what they advertise. And in your case a 200 GB drive 14.1 GB of space is lost because of the manufacturers using a different counting system.

This is not a Mac specific problem, if you were to get a 200 GB drive for a PC or a 200 GB external drive you would also get 185.99 GB

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Because mfg's advertise hard drive space as 1000 MB per GB... when it is ACTUALLY 1024 MB per GB...

They really sold you 200,000 MB.... which is just 195GB... the other 9 GB is used by the OS and the Apps that are pre-installed.

EDIT: See trpnmonkey41's post above... much more detailed.
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick replies... should have known the answer to that one.
QUOTE Thanks
awg0020

awg0020 is on a distinguished road

I have a similar problem, however it isn't so simple. I purchased a 500GB Seagate External HD over a year ago and used it with my Windows laptop, and then with my Mac Mini and Macbook (after I came to my senses). However in this time I partitioned it to use it as a storage and backup. The problem is that the total capacity is now at 372.6 GB, nowhere close to the ~480GB capacity that it used to have. Is there anyway to recover the lost space or is it just due to age and over-formatting? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where, Oh Where Did My HDD Go? | Editing file on ext drive »