msbeth72
    Finder keeps restarting..stuck in loop
    Help...I upgraded my G3 Pismo from 9.2.1 to OS X and 9.2.2 but now when I reboot the gray screen comes up with the happy mac and then it just clicks off...I kinda solved that issue by holding down X while restarting..but when OS X loads the finder bounces up and down like it's about to open and my desktop icons appear then it repeats itself INDEFINITELY until I shut it down...I was able to to open a few things in the dock....I am somewhat new to Macs...is there a preference panel or perhaps a duplicate or corrupt finder file somewhere Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....Thanks so much

Beth

msbeth72
    Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!
    PLease anyone out there? Thanks :confused:

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Start repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

msbeth72
    thanks for trying
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    Start repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
    The repair button isn't highlighted, (I partitioned my hard drive into 3 (OSx, OS9.2.2, and MISC.) When I highlight those and try to repair I get an error message saying..Unmount Failed- The Disk failed to unmount because it is in use.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Did you select the volume just under the name of the hard drive in the upper left corner? I see... The partition may need to be "ejected" from the Finder first maybe?

msbeth72
    thank u...
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    Did you select the volume just under the name of the hard drive in the upper left corner? I see... The partition may need to be "ejected" from the Finder first maybe?
    so i am relatively new to Macs so...don't laugh, but how do i unmount my start-up disk? back-up 1st?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    First you can not unmount a start-up volume disk.

I would hazard a guess that you have a bad install, because you are having a problem with the finder. i would re-install OS X.

If you want to try repair permissions. Start the system with the install disk. From the install menu, choose disk utility, and then repair permissions. If that does not work, I would re-install the OS. What version of OS X did you install?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information