New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Encrypt and password protect?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Hi all. I have the inlaws coming over shortly. With them, they are bringing their 14 year old son. Now, I know my little macbook here is going to be quite popular with them, and my loving wife won't let me hide it for the duration of their stay. Now I guess I have to "secure" what I can from prying eyes. Does anyone know of any application that would allow me to encrypt files? Preferably freeware, I need to encrypt or put a password on my documents folder, and few other folders on my mac without locking up th whole system. I really don't want to create another user, just protect certain files and folders. Also is there a way to have mail ask for a password before opening? If it's sitting in the dock, closed, I want it to ask for a password when I click on it before it opens.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Log.
Out.
Of.
Your.
Mac.

It's simply not possible to "protect" parts of your account. You can try, but you'll still be vulnerable to all kinds of accidents.

Make a new account. They're free, and it takes all of ninety seconds to set up.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Ok, if I do create a guest user acct, then how do I allow the guest user to access certain files on my acct. I want them to have access to my itunes files, my iphoto files, a few home movies of the kids, etc..... Thats why I was just going to leave my acct open and allow them to use it, while encrypting only certain parts, like, mail, and my documents folder.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The Shared folder (/Users/Shared) is readable to all users (but items placed in that folder can only be removed by the user who placed them there.)

If you place your iTunes and iPhoto libraries (or copies) there, anyone will be able to read them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I map the superdrive on another mac on a local network? | a virus? »