New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
So if you are happy with the current revision of the OS, why upgrade? You can sit at the current level along as you like. Also note; as you know as the OS is upgraded old hardware is left behind, because it will not run the latest version. I look at my beige G3 powermac, it is running OS X 10.1.5. I don't have any problems with it. I have jaguar and panther, but i will not load it with either, because I believe I will not be happy with the performance.

The major upgrades that are paid upgrades (i.e. 10.0; 10.1; 10.2; and 10.3), whereas the incremental upgrades which are free (i.e. 10.0.x; 10.1.x; 10.2.x; and 10.3.x).
I think this way too... and just to toss in this: many doz users never went to xpee -- even running 98! :p
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Ya, my 400Mhz PC runs 98 too cause Win 2000 or XP crashes all the time. So since Tiger is coming, have they announced any new or neat features it will have? Since I can't stop the updates from coming, I might as well embrace them and try to get excited about them hahaha.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

What I'll say to that is - it's sure to be way more worth while then anything that might be anounced in the longworm OOOPS releases :p
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

It would almost seem like each of these new versions are like ... unfinished thoughts that they keep releasing. It might make more sense from a programming stand point to spend more time making a "fuller" version of the OS, but unfortunately from a buisness perspective they're making the right move.

I will however wait when it does come out, as I'm perfectly happy with panther atm.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

anyone happen to have a link with more details? ( i hate to search )
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
anyone happen to have a link with more details? ( i hate to search )
One for Tiger Here's one if you're looking for M$ Yuk it up, beware the M$ trolls! They are everywhere this week imagine that! :p
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDreugan
It would almost seem like each of these new versions are like ... unfinished thoughts that they keep releasing. It might make more sense from a programming stand point to spend more time making a "fuller" version of the OS, but unfortunately from a buisness perspective they're making the right move.
Werd.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Hmm, so, like myself, we seem to have a few G3 users on this forum. However, no one has brought up the concern that, and it definitely is possible, 10.4 (Tiger) won't run on G3s. Because, Apple is phasing out stuff for the G3s. Here's the profile for my computer:

Hardware

Machine Model: iMac
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.19f1

Software

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.3 (7F44)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.3.0

Hmm, I'm really concerned myself. If 10.4 doesn't come out for G3s, it's not just "oh well". 10.3.3 is a great operating system, but we all know that once 10.4 comes out it won't be long until few things are made for 10.3 anymore. A few months ago I upgraded to 10.3 from 10.1.5, and it was a GOOD thing I did. That's because, besides Panther being incredibly superior to 10.1.5, few things are made for 10.1.5 anymore, and I would have been much more limited in terms of software than I am now.

Anyway, my point is, are any other G3 users concerned as I am? Or, can anyone put my fears to rest and give a good reason why you think that 10.4 WILL work on G3s?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

no give it time, the G3 will not be lost yet. They only just recently dropped them from the current line up. give it another few years. but very true, eventually they wil phase it out.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Just for example, let's say that OS X 10.4 will only run on G4 hardware or later. Is that a problem for the G3s. No, it is not a problem. What ever is running on the G3 will still work. As I have stated before, if you need the latest and great software you will then need to upgrade your hardware. I have a Mac SE/30 that is running fine with OS 7.5.5. It may not work with the latest software, but it is still usable with the software that was designed for it.

Just like windows 3.1, none of todays software will run on it.

Don't worry, as long as the hardware is doing what you want it to do you don't have a problem to worry about.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

yup, agree with rman. but, the g3 ibook was only just this past year discontinued.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Yeah, I guess you're right...But I think on the internet, I have seen free software downloads that are exclusively for 10.3.3. People sometimes discontinue versions of programs for OS X that are below Jaguar and sometimes even Panther. For example, MSN Messenger 4 for Mac OS X was just released. I remember that the system requirements for MSN Messenger 3.5 for Mac OS X were 10.0.3 or something like that. The system requirements for the new MSN Messenger 4 are 10.2.8 (with 10.3.3 being recommended)! So, if Microsoft decides to keep updating MSN Messenger for Mac, then eventually there will be a version for OS X that requires Tiger. But the reason this is bad is because, when a newer version of MSN Messenger for a particular operating system is released, Micorosft prevents the older versions from being opened (well, you can't connect the server when you open the program) within a few months of the newer version's release. That means that, if I still have this computer within a few months, I will have no choice but to downdate to MSN Messenger 2.5 for Mac OS 9 (since OS 9 and OS X are considered different operating systems, but 10.3 and 10.4 are both considered to be part of OS X, I think). But, that probably won't be for a while, anyway, since Tiger hasn't even been previewed yet! The conference isn't even for over a month! So, I've still got a lot of time left...And besides, as Graphite said, it's a good possibility that Tiger WILL run on a G3! I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed....
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Panther ran better on G3's than Jaguar! So what makes you thing that it could make the system slower than Jaguar???
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

yeah, I have good reason to believe most G3s will be supported. iBook for sure. But don't expect anything spectacular from 10.5
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

Sounds good to me! Looks like we'll have another OS released before LH releases for windows :p Apple just keeps innovating, everone else plays catch up it seems. I can't wait for Tiger

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple or pc?! | Definitive answer on Spyware please »