New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

You got it all wrong...
10.0: March 2001
10.1: Sept 01 (free if you got OS X.0)
10.2: August 02
10.3: october 03

Apple does not force you to upgrade. If your so pissed, don't upgrade. Alright? Alright.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
You got it all wrong...
10.0: March 2001
10.1: Sept 01 (free if you got OS X.0)
10.2: August 02
10.3: october 03

Apple does not force you to upgrade. If your so pissed, don't upgrade. Alright? Alright.
i checked the dates in mactracker but tried to go straight from memory in the post

oh well its still not 100 bucks twice a year

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here your solution. If the current operating system is working just fine for you. Then you don't have to upgrade. If you want the latest and greatest software and it need the latest operating system to run then you upgrade. I don't see an problem. I see other vendors or operating systems, i.e. sgi, Sun, IBM and HP, just to name a few that do the same thing.

I believe that Apple is working on a better operating system, becuase the hardware is getting better.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
10.1 October 01
10.2 November 02
10.3 September 03

How is that 100 bucks twice a year?
Really... and longhorn planning a bloat-o-matic system MEGA hog 6 - 7 ghz just to run??? That is so dismal they may as well quit the whole idea altogether! But that's just my 2 cents!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have an Mac SE30 that is running OS 7.5.5 and working fine with it. I also have a G3 that is running OS X 10.1.5 just fine. My wife's iBook is running OS X 10.1.5 and she is okay with it. One day I will upgrade it. My Ti PowerBook is running OS X 10.3.3 with no problems. Of my four system three don't need to be upgraded. On my system I tend to install the latest and greatest, since I am a system administrator.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I have an Mac SE30 that is running OS 7.5.5 and working fine with it. I also have a G3 that is running OS X 10.1.5 just fine. My wife's iBook is running OS X 10.1.5 and she is okay with it. One day I will upgrade it. My Ti PowerBook is running OS X 10.3.3 with no problems. Of my four system three don't need to be upgraded. On my system I tend to install the latest and greatest, since I am a system administrator.
It's things like this that make me smile every time I think of Apple and Mac OS -- I really wanna get a low end Mac at say, OS 7 - 8 or so just to have it... This is all I'm doing with my pc running naught but Linux Red Hat
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Apple needs to learn a thing or two from Microsoft when it comes to this...
"Innovation never sleeps?" Please, more like "we're going to add a couple useless tweaks to your OS and make you dish out another Benjamin."
Apple didn't "make" anyone upgrade to Panther. Jaguar is still a perfectly functional and well-supported version of OS X, but many people were willing to spend the money for Panther's various benefits, which, though some are small or minor, are still far more than you listed. The fact that Panther runs faster than Jaguar on most people's machines would probably be worth the upgrade all by itself to some. Oh, and I can only hope that Apple never learns anything from M$.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Really... and longhorn planning a bloat-o-matic system MEGA hog 6 - 7 ghz just to run??? That is so dismal they may as well quit the whole idea altogether! But that's just my 2 cents!
Soon, OS X will need that much to run. As well as Linux, ect. ect.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Heh. Well not nearly so soon, and not for the same reasons
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
Looking at other unix favors, I don't think Mac OS X will become that bloated.

QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
I don't believe that Linux will ever need the same "horsepower" to run as Winblows. My father runs Redhat 9 on a Dell GxPro 180 with 256mb of RAM. He runs GNOME quite well and has quit using his XP machine for anything except for QuickBooks Pro.

I run RH9 on an IBM Thinkpad 390e, which is a Pentium II 300mhz with 128mb of RAM. I also run in GNOME quite well and have no performance issuess.

Finally, I run 10.2.8 on an iMac 333mhz with 288mb of RAM. It's a little slow starting up, but once it gets going it runs just fine. And it's used quite often with Photoshop 7.

It's all a matter of perception, I guess.

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Yeah, and 'nix architecture is simply more efficient and doz bloz is being uber retro fitted to fix its faulty design and useless security :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

We don't even know if Longhorn will require 4-6 GHz. It's a rumor.
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

In terms of updates coming out every six months as I said earlier, I stand corrected. My bad. It wasn't quite so often, but still too often. To me it's not the money that's the issue. I want one OS to last years for the simple fact that it's just way too much hassle to constantly install a new OS onto your mac. More hassle than people have time for.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
In terms of updates coming out every six months as I said earlier, I stand corrected. My bad. It wasn't quite so often, but still too often. To me it's not the money that's the issue. I want one OS to last years for the simple fact that it's just way too much hassle to constantly install a new OS onto your mac. More hassle than people have time for.
So if you are happy with the current revision of the OS, why upgrade? You can sit at the current level along as you like. Also note; as you know as the OS is upgraded old hardware is left behind, because it will not run the latest version. I look at my beige G3 powermac, it is running OS X 10.1.5. I don't have any problems with it. I have jaguar and panther, but i will not load it with either, because I believe I will not be happy with the performance.

The major upgrades that are paid upgrades (i.e. 10.0; 10.1; 10.2; and 10.3), whereas the incremental upgrades which are free (i.e. 10.0.x; 10.1.x; 10.2.x; and 10.3.x).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple or pc?! | Definitive answer on Spyware please »