New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - G4-10.4.9 STARTUP DISK is almost full

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eepco

eepco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 10.4.9

feeling like an ijiot

error message...
your startup disk is almost full.
you need to make more room by
deleting files.

I DELETED A TON of graphics files....emptied the trash..restarted a bunch of times...

i upgraded memory from 512-->768...
and i am wondering if something more bad is happening here?

i can't use photoshop this a.m...
it says SCRATCH DISK IS FULL : <

i just bought 250GB LaCie Hard drive to try and
get my ITUNES off of here..to create more space.
not so sure how to do that either

so basically ..a DAMSEL IN DISTRESS : < eepco@comcast.net

QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

Reclaim a quick 2 gigs or so by using http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ to clear out uneeded language files on your machine.

Read the readme text and do a search in the forum first as you could mess stuff up if you get rid of some of the English files.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
eepco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
Reclaim a quick 2 gigs or so by using http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ to clear out uneeded language files on your machine.

Read the readme text and do a search in the forum first as you could mess stuff up if you get rid of some of the English files.

Good luck.

in the process of doing that right now...via another similar program...I think the culprit might be TWO iTUNES librarys : <....

I am trying to figure out how to MOVE rather then copy them..to consolidate and clear up HD......any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

here are some instructions on how to move your itunes info onto your external drive. That should clear up some HD space.

"iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Music folder"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eepco

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
here are some instructions on how to move your itunes info onto your external drive. That should clear up some HD space.

"iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Music folder"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748
NOW thats GOOD STUFFFFFFFFFFF

one more thing though...

when i do a search for iTUNES music...i get 2 folders?
any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepco View Post
NOW thats GOOD STUFFFFFFFFFFF

one more thing though...

when i do a search for iTUNES music...i get 2 folders?
any ideas?
go through and check it all but it should all be a duplicate.. itunes does that by default.

QUOTE Thanks
eepco

Quote:
go through and check it all but it should all be a duplicate.. itunes does that by default.
meaning...its using double the space it should...or did I totally misunderstand what you said? its copying one song at a time..guessing it will take 12 hours or so
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepco View Post
meaning...its using double the space it should...or did I totally misunderstand what you said? its copying one song at a time..guessing it will take 12 hours or so
correct, its using double the space.. as i said make sure they are all duplicates.

QUOTE Thanks
eepco

Quote:
correct, its using double the space.. as i said make sure they are all duplicates.

i can delete one? or both from the hard drive as I am in the proces of moving to my 250GB external hd.....double the space ...:<
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Itunes copies everything you load into it to it's own directory, so if you're adding files you already have on your hard disk, it creates a copy.

It's easy to end up with dupes of everything. Get an Ipod video, try it with 2gb files . . . doesn't take long to fill up a lot of space.

Moving rather than copying is not much more than copying then deleting the originals - with all the usual caveats about check you've really got good copies, etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Combine two or more hard disks into a single volume? | Wiping HD and installing Tiger »