New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Any suggestions before reinstalling?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

After installing the latest security update my Macbook crashed and was stuck on a blue loading screen. I forced a reboot (after about 15-20mins) and it then stuck on a grey loading screen and simply sits there for ages. I have reset the PRAM and ran a hardware test which has made no difference. I also cannot enter “safe-mode” and am unaware what “verbose” mode is, or if it would be of any help.

I did a quick search and can see that others have had this problem and I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that I’m going to have to reinstall OS X. But before I do I thought I’d request some of the expert advice that floats around here.

1 - If I reinstall OS X and choose to keep my files are they all going to be found in the same locations / folders as before?

2 - Any suggestions on what else I could try before I reinstall the OS?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Just keep in mind that before installing anything (software or OS updates) a simple procedure: always unplug all peripherals (except of course keyboard and mouse) before you install.

Have a read of this article as well: Shock and Awe: How Installing Apple's Updates can Render Your Mac Unbootable and How You Can Prevent it.

Taking these precautions make updating safer.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice

Cheers MHC, got that bookmarked now. This was my 1st OS X update and I thought it would be ok simply running in the background - so I was running a couple of apps, downloading and running maintenance scripts! We live and learn.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

moss918,

Just thought I'd add that when you run Maintenance scripts it's best to have nothing else running at the time ... this allows the app full access to your Macs HD.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

Never knew that either, cheers Pulse!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

No worries, moss!

If you choose Archive & Install as an option, all your files will be preserved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Sound! 0o | Strange DNS issue »