New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Changed Home Folder by mistake!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hunter

Hunter is on a distinguished road

I accidentely changed my home folder name and need to restore back to its original name, i heard of a couple ways to do it, either create a new user and copy the .dmg from the 'deleted users' folder or by using Netinfo. but i'm not sure either way how to do it

Could someone please advise?

OSX 10.4.9
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

I accidentely changed my home folder name and need to restore back to its original name, i heard of a couple ways to do it, either create a new user and copy the .dmg from the 'deleted users' folder or by using Netinfo. but i'm not sure either way how to do it

Could someone please advise?

OSX 10.4.9
Each user has his or her own home folder named using the short user name for the account. The short user name for a user cannot be changed. Do not change the name of a home folder.

If you want to use a different short user name, you must create a new user (this requires Administrator privileges). You can then move items from your previous home folder to your new home folder if you wish.

If you have accidentally changed the name of your Home folder and your desktop looks different or you cannot find your files, you need to change the name back to the original name.

To correct a home folder whose name has been changed:

Locate the User's folder on your hard disk and open it.

Select the home folder with the original short user name and the home icon. This folder usually contains a Desktop folder and a Library folder. Add "_new" to the end of the name so that you can distinguish it later.

Select the regular folder that has the name you used when you changed your original home folder. This folder should contain items you would expect to find in your original home folder, such as your Pictures folder, Documents folder, and so on. Change the name of this folder back to the original short user name.

Log out, then log in again and verify that items are back where they belong.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

There's this app that might help. The article is loaded with warnings, though, one of them in red.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password reset | Rosetta behaving badly? »