New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Can't choose which folder to save in

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gobiwaq

gobiwaq is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4

Possible dumb question coming but gotta ask----

Every time I try to save something, for example a word file or a pdf, but also when saving a webpage there is the drop down box which lets me select where I want to save it. It has desktop, document and recent places etcetera.

But is there no way to browse for the folder I want to save it in? I'm constantly having to save things to the desktop and then drag stuff to the right folder.... which is no big deal really, it just seems strangely poor design for Mac. If it was windows I wouldn't be surprised.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You need to click the down-arrow on the right of the file name to expand the dialog box. See attached:
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (25.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (66.0 KB, 29 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

^-- I never understood the logic behind that.

I mean, sure, sometimes, when it comes to UI, "less is better."

But for something like saving, it's not like seeing folders will confuse the heck out of users.
If anything, that little button with an arrow pointing downward is confusing more than anything.
I mean, if you just look at it, would you have any idea what that button does? (if you notice it at all, that is)
I remember that I've had to tell a few of my friends, "you have to press that little button thinggy." To me, that shows how unintuitive that is.

Heck, you see the folders in the Open dialogs, so why make the Save dialogs any different?

</random rant>

(note: Actually, I noticed that Windows Vista's Open dialogs hide the folders by default now as well.
In MY opinion, that was one of the worse Mac OS X "features" to "borrow.")
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Quit your whining You only have to click it once. The next time it'll be expanded already.

I agree with you. It's probably for the real basic home user. "It goes in documents" done, or "It goes in music" done.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
..... "It goes in documents" done, or "It goes in music" done.
Or the ever popular....

"It goes on the Desktop..... done."

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erasing EVERYthing | What's difference between "Free" and "inactive" »