New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Viruses

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aaronk_000

aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

Our family computer recently crashed, and now is a great time to try and convince the rest of my family that Mac is the way to go (the fact that they can run Windows on a Mac is really appealing to them). But I had a different question regarding viruses on a mac.

Does Tiger come with virus software already installed...or is it just unnecessary since 99% of the viruses out there are Windows-based? What needs to be done in order to protect a Mac from viruses? (We would use Tiger for Internet browsing and most everything, except for the few Windows-based games that we have.)
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

there is a built in firewall that is easy and good to use. other than that, virus protection is pretty much not needed. some people use it, i dont see the point.

the each his own really. You would have to purchase somthing though.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

One reason some use AntiVirus on Macs is you can still download files with a Windows Virus attached. It will do nothing to your Mac but if you send the file on to a windows friend you could be sending them a Virus and not even know it!
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Now dtravis has a point....don't believe any windows viruses could harm your mac....but you may well be helping to spread the trash..
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

I totally agree with the previous two posts.... and honestly just because there's not a virus out there NOW, doesn't mean there won't EVER be one... personally, I'd prefer to do my part and not spread it around as well as being prepared (vigilance is always a good thing). I use Norton for mac and it's not memory hungry... and I HAVE downloaded some apps with viruses in them... but it is a personal choice.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfVetSAF View Post
I use Norton for mac and it's not memory hungry... and I HAVE downloaded some apps with viruses in them... but it is a personal choice.
windows or mac apps?? Never heard of mac apps with viruses...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kernel Panic, Now it won't boot | KeyChain »