Thread: Viruses

Viruses

Viruses
    Our family computer recently crashed, and now is a great time to try and convince the rest of my family that Mac is the way to go (the fact that they can run Windows on a Mac is really appealing to them). But I had a different question regarding viruses on a mac.

Does Tiger come with virus software already installed...or is it just unnecessary since 99% of the viruses out there are Windows-based? What needs to be done in order to protect a Mac from viruses? (We would use Tiger for Internet browsing and most everything, except for the few Windows-based games that we have.)

Viruses
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro - iPhone
    there is a built in firewall that is easy and good to use. other than that, virus protection is pretty much not needed. some people use it, i dont see the point.

the each his own really. You would have to purchase somthing though.
    She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
    and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
    Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.

Viruses

Thanks!!

Viruses
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    One reason some use AntiVirus on Macs is you can still download files with a Windows Virus attached. It will do nothing to your Mac but if you send the file on to a windows friend you could be sending them a Virus and not even know it!

Viruses
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
    Now dtravis has a point....don't believe any windows viruses could harm your mac....but you may well be helping to spread the trash..

Viruses

I totally agree with the previous two posts.... and honestly just because there's not a virus out there NOW, doesn't mean there won't EVER be one... personally, I'd prefer to do my part and not spread it around as well as being prepared (vigilance is always a good thing). I use Norton for mac and it's not memory hungry... and I HAVE downloaded some apps with viruses in them... but it is a personal choice.

Viruses
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfVetSAF View Post
    I use Norton for mac and it's not memory hungry... and I HAVE downloaded some apps with viruses in them... but it is a personal choice.
    windows or mac apps?? Never heard of mac apps with viruses...

Thread Information