New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - How can I re-install OSX when my DVD drive is broken?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DanE

DanE is on a distinguished road

I've had this problem for a few weeks. After downloading some updates, my Powerbook G4 stated that the harddrive was getting full and after I turned it off I've never been able to start it back up again. My DVD drive is broken so I can't use the OSX restore disk to re-install onto my internal drive. After starting a Thread about my problem someone told me to use the fsck option to resolve the problem. I didn't get very far with this as it wasn't finding any faults or allowing me to boot up in safe mode.

On a visit to my brothers, I managed to use his MacBook to view my harddrive and copy my files across as a backup and create some more internal harddrive space (up from 1Gb to 3Gb on a 10Gb drive). This also confirmed that the internal harddrive was working ok (I had wondered whether it was broken) and that it wasn't full. So now I want to re-install OSX so that I can start using my mac again. My brother and I tried to install from the DVD drive on his MacBook onto my internal harddrive (connected by firewire) but the installer wouldn't allow it as it's a firewire drive. We had the same problem with our attempt to install OSX onto my LaCie firewire drive.

If I manage to borrow a USB DVD drive will I be able to boot up from the Restore disk and re-install the OS onto my internal drive?

Any other ideas as to how I can fix this?

---------------------------------------------------
G4 Powerbook 400MHz, 256Mb RAM, 10Gb Hard Drive, OS 10.4 - broken DVD drive and horizonal lines on screen.
G4 800MHz, 512Mb RAM, 30Gb Hard Drive, OS 9, DVD/CD combo drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I believe the external DVD has to be Firewire, not USB for OS X installation
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The computer ask to make "reset" | PDF links, downloaded instead of opened »