New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Hard drive icon with arrow under it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nyc_medic

nyc_medic is on a distinguished road

Hello All,
First of all I did try a search but couldnt find anything on my problem. Looking for some help. I have switched from windows to mac maybe a month ago and love my macbook. Today I noticed when I turned it on a strange icon was there. It was a hard drive picture with an arrow pointing up toward it. I never had this b4 , it would always go right to the apple icon and start. Now I have to click the arrow pointing up at the hard drive icon to get it to boot. I dont remember changing anything. Any help would be very much appreciated. Once I click the arrow it loads and works fine. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Is this what you are seeing??? But with only 1 drive???

Are your holding the OPTION button while you boot?

Did you recently install Bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks
nyc_medic

yes that is exactly what I'm seeing. I'm not holding down any buttons. Just use the power button.
QUOTE Thanks
nyc_medic

yes that is exactly what I'm seeing. I'm not holding down any buttons. Just use the power button. No bootcamp.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Try this...

System Prefs>>> Start-up Disk... Make sure the OS X folder/drive is selected...
QUOTE Thanks
nyc_medic

Funny thing happened, went out to my car to get my mac and started it up and everything was back to normal. I did check what you suggested and it is checked. Thanks for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Great.. I'm glad it's back to normal for ya... I wonder if maybe the option key was just a little "stuck"...

Either way... you look to be all set. Congrats!

Welcome the the forums!
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

What does holding the option key upon startup do?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

It allows you to choose what drive you want to boot into...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX gradual slowdown just like Windows??? | eMAC, wHERE DO i FIND GB? »