New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Root login problem in 10.3.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

azstech

I installed 10.3.3 on a new hard drive and wanted to enable root access.

I enabled root account using all possible methods - with NetInfo, through terminal, with Installer disk (reset password) and there is still no "Other" option on login screen.

There was never any problem in Jaguar or previous system. Is this a bug or a feature?

I need to log as root to do extensive work with Apache and web sites, I got used working in root. Is there any way to log as root in 10.3.3????
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Hmm.. I just enabled it in netinfo and then gave it a password and it has worked for me.. I just installed 10.3.3 also... I didn't realize that was what the whole Other.. thing was on my login screen *laugh* I couldnt figure out where that came from! I did a clean install though so I don't know if that is the difference...
QUOTE Thanks
azstech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Hmm.. I just enabled it in netinfo and then gave it a password and it has worked for me.. I just installed 10.3.3 also... I didn't realize that was what the whole Other.. thing was on my login screen *laugh* I couldnt figure out where that came from! I did a clean install though so I don't know if that is the difference...
I did a clean install also on a new hard drive. It looks that my installation went bad - there is no other explanation!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah either it was a bad installation or you tried too many different things Would you want to try installing again?
QUOTE Thanks
azstech

Yes, I did reinstall starting with 10.3.1, then activated root account and only then updated to 10.3.3. This is the advice I got from another guy!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Hehehe... The first time I enabled root it magicamatically dissappeared. So I just did it again and it stayed. My bro told me it's just a small Unix hiccup that sometimes happens -- no worries. I love how OS X makes it named "other" in the loggin screen! Being a 'nix type, I had to have my root access! Remember to not be root on line!
QUOTE Thanks
azstech

Thanks! I had to reinstall all additional stuff - MySql, PHP, you name it. It wasn't fun when I had to work against a deadline, but... all is well now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back to Jaguar... | Changing Default Programs »