New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Weird boot issue?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I'm having a problem when I start up my computer or at least I think it's a problem because it's never happened before. When I start up my computer, before the Apple screen, there's a grey screen with a File Folder that has a question mark on it and then it goes to another grey screen with a File Folder that has a grey and black Finder picture on it. These screens only last about a second before the Apple screen pops up and everything loads fine. What could've made this happen? Is it an OSX problem and what do I need to do to correct it? I did the best I could to take a few digital pictures but seeing as they only pop up for one second the pictures are not the best. Oh and for all you wise guys/gals out there, yes I know I need to clean my screen!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Do you have more than one partition on your HDD? If that's the case, go to the System Preferences and select the correct start-up partition. You can also try to reset the PRAM.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Do you have more than one partition on your HDD? If that's the case, go to the System Preferences and select the correct start-up partition. You can also try to reset the PRAM.
If I have more than one partition on my HDD it is not by design.. I am at work and will try these suggestions tonight when I get home. Thanks so much! anyone else that has any suggestions please feel free to speak/type up!

QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I second the motion to check your System Preferences --> Startup Disk. Your Mac has just forgotten what to look for at startup.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

alright, so novicew and sherman were correct.. here is my next question.

take a look at this picture:

network startup, the picture with the drive with the circle with the question mark. what is it? why is it there? do I need it? How do I get rid of it if I don't need it?

QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

It is a network service, built into the OS, that allows a client Mac to find a "netboot" server to boot from. Common in student labs, it means that the Mac boots up over a network from a server, not from the hard drive. If you had accidentally selected it, it would have taken forever for your Mac to give up and default back to the internal drive. In your case I think that your Mac just got confused. Selecting the internal drive will fix it!
Netboot fun:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/n...rkinstall.html
I have no idea if you can get rid of the icon.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Thank you sherman for the info! is it safe to assume all mac's have a network startup option?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Would assume so, mine's had it since I brought it home.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lock a folder | Installin MAC OS to a MacBook Pro »