New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - duplicate to idisk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazzzmoly

gazzzmoly is on a distinguished road

Hi all

i was wndering is there a way so that if i put something in my documents folder that it gets mirrored to my idisk

I.E if i put a document in my document folder it gets copied to idisk

if i delelte it it also gets deleted from idisk

the later int a biggy but i would love to know i have a back up that is easily accesable from mac.com if i am away from a mac

regards Gareth
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

Hey. Since you have a .Mac account, download the free program "Backup." Once you have it installed, simply set up a backup schedule to your iDisk... I'm new to a mac so I'm not sure of another way... let me know pls.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzzmoly

this makes a back-up which is compressed all i want is a mirror of all the files
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, gazzzmoly.

Well if you delete the files which are the source of the mirror, it's logical to think the mirrored files will go too as they don't have any source anymore.

I would agree with GVSAF on this. Backup would be the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzzmoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfVetSAF View Post
Hey. Since you have a .Mac account, download the free program "Backup." Once you have it installed, simply set up a backup schedule to your iDisk... I'm new to a mac so I'm not sure of another way... let me know pls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums, gazzzmoly.

Well if you delete the files which are the source of the mirror, it's logical to think the mirrored files will go too as they don't have any source anymore.

I would agree with GVSAF on this. Backup would be the way to go.
again thanks for the input but i own an imac which is at home put everywhere else i wprk in a windows environment and would like to be able to access th ings via mac.com perhaps i didnt make myself clear sorry for any confusion.

back up is fine but it archives everything and is not very windows freindly i would rather not have to download and uncompress my entire documents folder each time i want a single file

i know that there is a simle way around this ie using a folder action to copy to a mounted idisk or an applescript problem is i am a little numb when it comes to mac osx
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well maybe a simple drag and drop of the files on your iDisk then.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzzmoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Well maybe a simple drag and drop of the files on your iDisk then.
lol i too though that lol :confused: i was hoping something tha i just either saved into docs and it did it automagicly duplicated it into my idisk save me havng to repeat it everytime
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

what about automator? I have NO clue how to use it but it sounds like you might be able to create a workflow?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« original macintosh voice | Utility for checking Net connection speed? »