New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - How to create a new folder in Destop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

Im on a Macbook Pro v 10.4.9 and I want to organize all my desktop background images better. Is there a way to create new folders in addition to the 'apple images', 'nature', 'plants',...etc...? Ive tried to simply create a new folder in the folder that all mac's desktop image folders are in but it didnt show up. And when i do 'choose folder' it only shows one at a time
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

try clicking the desktop, perhaps with nothing else open, and keying command+shift+n i'm pretty sure that's the new folder shortcut.

you could also do it from finder. desktop should be in your sidebar. it should also be in your home folder.

(i'd be more specific, but i'm at work on a windows laptop)

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
travisw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
try clicking the desktop, perhaps with nothing else open, and keying command+shift+n i'm pretty sure that's the new folder shortcut.

you could also do it from finder. desktop should be in your sidebar. it should also be in your home folder.

(i'd be more specific, but i'm at work on a windows laptop)
No thats not what i meant. I dont think I explaned byself well. I was talking about the actual desktop background pref box (pic below). I wanted to add more catagories. I know that you can point to one folder somewhere on your drive but i was wondering if you could add multiple folders for catagories.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

if you do a spotlight search for "nature" or "abstract" do you find a folder where these folders reside? i'm wondering if they're real or if they're virtual folders.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Make a new folder in your picture folder named desktops or whatever.
Drag your own desktop pics into that folder then you can access it through choose folder in System preferences > Desktop / screensaver.
Best

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
travisw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
if you do a spotlight search for "nature" or "abstract" do you find a folder where these folders reside? i'm wondering if they're real or if they're virtual folders.
I do find where the folders are but when i create a new one it doesn't show up in the desktop pref box. If i drop images in the folders already created by mac they appear in there. from the way it looks i dont think more catagories can be added. I even tried changing the name of one of the catagories mac created and it didnt change the name in the desktop pref but instead there simply weren't any pics in that folder. I dont know if im explaining myself but o wel. Thanks anyway guys.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I just tried it and you're right about the newly created folder not showing up in the System Prefs Desktop & ScreenSaver. Unless a restart is required which I won't try here... Did you try a restart to see if that wouldn't force the system to take notice of the new folder?

If a restart does not change anything, you simply need to manually choose your image folder in that case with the Choose Folder... thing at the bottom of the list.
QUOTE Thanks
BarneyRuckus

BarneyRuckus is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

I have the same exact problem that travisw is having. Only I've actually edited, added and deleted the "default images" for the background without adding my own new folder. So... the new picture file would reside in the same default folder that the other default images were in.

Here's the thing... I recently installed Leopard on my PowerBook 17" 6.7GHZ... that originally had Tiger. I'm not able to do the same with Leopard, so maybe Apple disabled that function... or hid the containing folder and images within it.

Does anyone know where these folders went or how to access them? I've already done the obvious searches and tried sifting through both the system folder and library folders... nothing.

Does anyone know? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

MacIntosh HD / Library / Desktop Pictures

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

This is how I did my desktop images and they show up in the system preferences / desktop&screen saver. I made new folders in the "documents" folder and named them. Then I put my photos in the folders by type. Went back to "Desktop&Sceen saver" Chose folder, ie, Beaches and all my beach photos came up in the box to the right. The folder is still there so I didn't have to choose a fold again. I did this on my old iBook G3 running 10.4.11. Haven't tried this on my new Uni-body yet.

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
BarneyRuckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
MacIntosh HD / Library / Desktop Pictures
That is exactly where it "was" before I installed Leopard. My friend who also has Leopard, can't find that folder either. Like I said... I did both searches for the actual names of the files and nothing came up.

I realize that I can just make a new folder and call it whatever and reference it from the preference panel... I don't want to do that. I used to be able to "add pictures" to the existing folder that--as you said--was in fact called Desktop Pictures. So for and example, this is what I'm trying to do:

Library/ Desktop Pictures/ Abstract/
Abstract 1 (Default)
Abstract 2 (Default)
Abstract 3 (Default)
New Abstract (One I created)

I know this may seem silly to most people, since I can essentially do the same thing by referencing a new folder. I just wanted to use the existing default folders... that's all. If it's not possible with Leopard... not Tiger... then somebody please say so. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
BarneyRuckus

Okay... that's really weird and funny at the same time.

I just rebooted my machine... and the viola! The friggin folder is there... what the crapper. So I dunno... as bobtomay mentioned... Macintosh HD/ Library/ Desktop Pictures is there... and for some reason... I couldn't find the stupid thing to save my life yesterday... Why me? Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
BarneyRuckus

Ok... I've officially ruled that there is something wrong with my machine... Ha... go figure...

I was not able to see the default images in any of the default folders when viewing it from the preference panel... clicked on the "change background every .... minutes" let it cycle... went back to the pref panel and Bam... there they are... but only in one of the folders... so I repeated the process and Bam... got all of them back... What the heck?!?

I really haven't experienced any buggy-ness on my mac before. Like I said... weird. All "seems" Well now... if the bugs keep coming... I'm switching back to Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade to 10.5.7? | Whether to update »