New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Installing OS On Power Mac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nathanhorn

nathanhorn is on a distinguished road

The OS 10.4 would not install on my Mac G4 because it did not have a DVD drive. I connected a USB DVD drive and it reads the CD when the OS is up and running. When I click on the Install icon is says that the computer needs to reboot and then OS will continue installing. Nothing ever happens it just reboots and the OS loads. Could this be because I am using a USB DVD drive? Will a regular DVD drive work if I put one in the computer? If nothing else,can the OS installation DVD's be converted to CD's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which Mac G4 is this? Tower? Do you know the specs?

It's probably your external DVD drive. That is why I wanted to know your Macs Specs. Trying to see which one so I can better help you.
QUOTE Thanks
nathanhorn

Very new to macs, but here what I have:

Apple Power Macintosh G4 400 (PCI) Specs (M7631LL/A)

Processor Type: PowerPC 7400 (G4) Processor Speed: 400 MHz
System Bus Speed: 100 MHz (4:1) Cache Bus Speed: 200 MHz
ROM/Firmware Type: Open Firmware ROM/Firmware Size: 1 MB
L1 Cache: 64k L2/L3 Cache: 1 MB (backside)
Details: The 1 MB of backside cache has a 200 MHz bus.
RAM Type: PC100 SDRAM Min. RAM Speed: 100 MHz
RAM: 64 MB
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Ok, that is a G4 tower code named Yikes. I would install a DVD ROM internally as that is the only way you will get it to install from that DVD. I have had good luck with Sony DVD drives in Macs.

Another thing though, your specs show 64Megs RAM. 10.4 Tiger will not really run with 64Megs and be VERY slow. I would recommend upping the ram to at least 256Megs but 512Megs if you can. That machine takes PC100 SDRAM. Most PC133 as long as the module does not have High Density chips will work also. If we can help in any other way let us know.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
nathanhorn

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You can't boot from an external USB DVD, only Firewire.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Install OS X due to missing receipt | Mac "forgets" wireless connection when swited on »