New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - Repair Permissions problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macauley

Macauley is on a distinguished road

I have been having very slow start ups. Twirling ball for a time and desk top takes a long time to show up. Also takes a long time to shut down computer. Running 10.2.8. Have tried to repair permissions but never get to the end of it. It appears to get stuck at the end. Have even left it run over night and can''t get repair permissions to finish. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Have you tried using either Onyx or Main Menu? They can both repair disk permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

10.2.8 is over 3.5 years old. I'm not surprised it's not performing nicely.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Macauley

Macauley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
Have you tried using either Onyx or Main Menu? They can both repair disk permissions.
I tried Onyx and also Mac Janitor. The computer worked fine for awhile then I ran permissions again and it still would not go to end and finish, even when let run over night. It is now back to taking a very long time to start up and right now, I haven't been able to get it to start up at all. All I see is the grey apple and the spinning gear.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I think it sounds like time to get rid of lots of stuff that you don't use and to archive files that you want to keep. Clean out cookies and caches etc. Look at uninstalling the most recently installed applications one at a time...one of them maybe interferring somehow. Once you have cleaned up try OnyX or similar again. If that hasn't helped then I would be doinga fresh reinstall from a blank formatted hard drive.

Good Luck.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

To be quite honest, Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.x) was very unstable compared to Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther. Why not try to buy off of eBay a full install version of Panther?

I used Jaguar on a G4 iMac and upgraded as soon as Panther came out and never regretted it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yogi can't Authenticate! | Upgrading to 9.2 while running OSX »