New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New G5 need basic setup for root. Newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

javanutz

Hi,
I've just got a new G5 and Im a newbie to MACs. I just turned on the system and set up the admin account. How do I get root access to the system? Because when I go into the terminal and try "su" and used the admin password, the system won't let me log in. Please help.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Admin access in the terminal is by sudo. Setting up root user never be on line as root:
Open NetInfo Manager, located in Applications > Utilities.
Choose Security > Enable Root User and type a password for the root account. You may need to type an administrator password to make these changes.
Choose Apple menu > Log Out.
Choose Other in the Login window, type root in the Name field, and the root password in the Password field.
QUOTE Thanks
javanutz

Choose Security?

Sorry there is no security option in netinfo manager. The current OS im on is OSX Panther. I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanutz
Choose Security?

Sorry there is no security option in netinfo manager. The current OS im on is OSX Panther. I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
If you are just trying Admin execution all you have to do is type sudo (command) and then you are promted for Admin password. Example: I wanna do my day cron: sudo sh /etc/daily <enter>
Password: ****** <enter> -all done. In the Netinfo I posted are the steps to enable root user in which login you have absolute authority and don't need the password
QUOTE Thanks
javanutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
If you are just trying Admin execution all you have to do is type sudo (command) and then you are promted for Admin password. Example: I wanna do my day cron: sudo sh /etc/daily <enter>
Password: ****** <enter> -all done. In the Netinfo I posted are the steps to enable root user in which login you have absolute autority and don't need the password
So does that mean if i am an admin, I already have root access? Then how come when i use the command "su" to get root access it prompts me for a password?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The account you created when you set up your system has administrator privileges. The root account as you know controls and owns the whole system. There is also a regular user account with privileges.

With that said, if you want to su to the root, then you will have to enable the account as you stated.

As the administrator if you need temporary root privileges, you use sudo (i.e. sudo command).

As witeshark suggested is it not wise to log in as the root user if your system is on the net.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanutz
So does that mean if i am an admin, I already have root access? Then how come when i use the command "su" to get root access it prompts me for a password?
In Mac OS X the su Unix command is sudo in one word, that's why you were not prompted - sudo gives about 5 or so minutes of root type access and as I say and rman said, please don't use it or true root on line
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password storage, net info | Dialup Modem won't disconnect »