New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Grey Screen With Folder Icon and ?mark, flashing!! HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBook_Lover

MacBook_Lover is on a distinguished road

hi guys im new so sorry if this has been posted before, i tryed to look but couldnt find anything!

Ok so i was watching that show 'Grease is the word' on my miglia tv thing, and it froze, (like it normally does becuase it sometimes gets confused with mobile phone signals, cos i use a small arial) so i held down the power button, also like ive done many times before, which then it starts up again normally and works perfectly....but when i switched it back on this time, the grey screen came up, with 'the start sound' but there was a faint clicking near the cd/dvd loading slot, and after about 3mins instead of the Apple Grey Logo, up came a folder icon with a ? in it, flashing, and thats how it stays!

if any1 has AnY advice or anything to say, atall, would be much appreaciated! thankyou!

have scheduled an appointment with my local apple store, but have to wait 3days, and it has uni work on it to be given in before then!!
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

If you do find that you need to reinstall the os, do an archive and install:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Or you could try safe boot, but I don't think that will work. hold down the shift key on start up. If it works, go to system preferences>startup disk>then chose the blue macintosh folder>then restart.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Look at page 13 of this document on Apple's site.
QUOTE Thanks
Roodki

Roodki is on a distinguished road

I just had that exact problem with mine. I brought it in to the apple repair shop and apparantly the hard drive fried .
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodki View Post
I just had that exact problem with mine. I brought it in to the apple repair shop and apparantly the hard drive fried .
Yeah, sometimes it can be the hard drive, but i try not to scare people. I always like to give a little hope.:flower:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mail compatibility??? | Cleaning up computer »