New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - root password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pirho

pirho is on a distinguished road

Is the root password (the one used for sudo) the same as the master password?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Yes... it should be the same.
QUOTE Thanks
pirho

So then if someone has admin access to the box, and forgot the master password this should reset it no?

This is the easiest method if you are more of a CLI person.

1. Log in on the Admin account. (Your normal, every day user account should not have administrative privileges.).

2. Open up a command shell in the Terminal application with
Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.

At the command prompt type this command:

% sudo passwd root
Enter Password:
Changing password for root
New password:
Verify password:

The first password you are asked for is the already existing password for the Admin account, to prove that you are authorized to make changes on this system. After that, you enter the new root password (twice for verification). That is all, the "superuser" account is now enabled
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

That should do it... Do not type the "%" (that is just the prompt)...

You can also "reset" the password using the install discs.

You may want to back-up everything.. just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I believe "ride" is correct that you can reset your root password that way. But the root password is not the same as your admin password in OS X your root password is used for Superuser(sudo) so you don't have to type sudo everytime you use terminal but you do have the correct steps to reset the root password if thats what your attempting to do.

But unless you know what you are doing I would not use the superuser account in terminal and frankly its best to add a standard user account to avoid making system changes that are irreversible.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Btw the install disks can be used to reset the admin password. But I don't believe they can be used to reset the root password. Besides I believe in your other post that you said you don't have the original disks...am I correct?
QUOTE Thanks
pirho

OK thats what I was wondering if the root account is the master password as well. Now that I know its not the only choice to to run the install cd. Will it do anything to current accounts?
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

I don't believe that changing the terminal root passwd will do any changes to any of your accounts. But I would back up everything. Playing around in terminal and with the superuser is messy business. You can really screw things up if you don't know what your doing. Be careful.
QUOTE Thanks
pirho

No not terminal the master password reset.
QUOTE Thanks
pirho

I'm curious, under the root account there is a folder called etc in there is a file called master.passwd if this file was replaced with one from another account (if that was possible) wouldnt that rest the master password?
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

Well...theres a master password for file vault. Besides the admin password. But anyways I don't think they would make it that easy to just replace the folder with one from another account. I would wait for some replys from other people because I'm a little lost on what exactly your trying to reset.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ninja scripts | File will not delete »