Password storage, net info
    I have a question about how passwords are stored via, the net info database.

I have found that /private/var/db/shadow/hash/(generateduid) has a hash or something value. I am asking 1) is this the actual password hash, 2) if it is, how to i code it to that, (eg. md5->salt->crypt etcetc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Los Angeles, California
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    The pass word is encrypted. I will have to look at what you are speaking to understand your questions. In all cases the users pass word is encrypted on all favors of unix.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Miami FL
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Yup and Mac uses the best encryption now in file vault so you have to be very careful not to lose/forget the master password

Ok those dident quite answer my question. I know unix (most flavours) very well. The question I have is 'how' is the password data stored. From when i go into system preferences -> users -> user(change the pass) to where that new password is stored. And how that new password is "encrypted" (not the word to use, encrypted means it can be decrypted, its one-way-hashed) using what hash functions.

I have tried to: md5 -s passwordhere > /private/var/db/shadow/hash/myusersgenerateduid

but that dident authenticate.

If anyone knows how to genereate, or how the once you get that password, how you can store it into the net info database.

Thread Information