OS hangs on reboot after updates
    I recently got a 20" Intel iMac and everything was going fine until I ran the update program and installed the updates. Now whenever I restart the computer it sits at a white screen. I hear the startup sound and then nothing. No apple logo with the spinning icon below it. If I hold down the power button and then turn it again again it will work after 2 or 3 tries. Nothing in the OS is having problems. Everything seems to be running smoothly except the hangs on reboot. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thank you.

~Crimson Eva

Hi Crimsoneve, first up I'd suggest popping in your iMacs install DVD and run Disc Utilities to repair Permissions and to verify/repair your HD.

Report back and we'll see where we should go from there. Someone else might have some recommendations on what to do on top of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
    Hi Crimsoneve, first up I'd suggest popping in your iMacs install DVD and run Disc Utilities to repair Permissions and to verify/repair your HD.

Report back and we'll see where we should go from there. Someone else might have some recommendations on what to do on top of the above.
    Ok, I have about 3 hours left at work and I will do that as soon as I get home. I hold down the C key after restarting with the install disc to get it to boot from that correct? Thanks.

Yeah that's correct, hold the 'C' key when you hear the chime. I'll check back here later to see how you have gotten on.

That seems to have fixed the boot issue. Now I am curious as to what caused it to begin with, but that's not really important is it? Thanks for your help.

~Crimson Eva

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Was it during the firmware update?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

No it wasn't an firmware update. It was a standard OS update but unfortunately I can't remember what the update was.

Now that that is solved I have a new one. On the left side of my screen there are about a dozen or so one pixel wide vertical lines. They start just under the menu bar and extend all the way to the bottom of the screen. I don't know if this is normal but I don't remember seeing them before. I will post a screen shot soon. Thanks.

~Crimson Eva

Edit: Don't know why I thought a screen shot would show the issue, looks like its a display problem. Also if I move a window to cover the area the lines don't appear.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsoneva View Post

~Crimson Eva

Edit: Don't know why I thought a screen shot would show the issue, looks like its a display problem. Also if I move a window to cover the area the lines don't appear.
    If it does NOT appear in the screen shot it's got to be something with the display. I was looking forward to that screen shot too! :spook:

It was funny. I immediately thought take a screen shot. Maybe I was looking for an excuse to use the cross hair screen shot function. That is a handy little feature.

Thread Information