New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - File will not delete

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

websyndicate

websyndicate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive

I have upgraded to CS3 and the remains of CS2 I'm trying to get rid of. there is 2 folder which contain files that have a HTML extension. The parent folder is a legal folder one for each .html file. Now have repaired the permissions with in osx and from the boot disk. It still will not delete this file every if I try securely empty trash or just plain empty It will delete everything else. Any help would be great if not I will just put them somewhere hidden I guess. Yes I have all the updates and its a Macbook Core Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

In terminal, type:

Code:
sudo rm -rf
Note there is a space at the the end. Now drag the offending item to the terminal window. you'll end up with something like:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /path/to/file.html
Hit enter key, then enter your root/admin password when prompted. That should erase the file immediately.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

After you put it into your trash folder, try rebooting your machine. Once it has restarted try emptying your trash again.
QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

This what I get and I have tried the rebooting after I put it in the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by websyndicate View Post
I have upgraded to CS3 and the remains of CS2 I'm trying to get rid of. there is 2 folder which contain files that have a HTML extension. The parent folder is a legal folder one for each .html file. Now have repaired the permissions with in osx and from the boot disk. It still will not delete this file every if I try securely empty trash or just plain empty It will delete everything else. Any help would be great if not I will just put them somewhere hidden I guess. Yes I have all the updates and its a Macbook Core Duo.
Hello websyndicate,

Try this for me please:

Start by creating a new user in the Accounts System Preferences panel. It doesn’t really matter what name or access level you give the new account; it’s going to have a very short existence. Once the account is created, move the troublesome file from the trash into the:

/Users/Shared folder.

Now, log in as the new user. Open the:

/Users/Shared folder,

and move the troublesome file into the new user’s trash.

Now logout of the new account and log back into your main account. Return to the Accounts pane in System Preferences, select the account you just created, and click the minus sign (or just hit Delete). The system will put up a dialog box asking if you’re sure you want to do this, with three options: Cancel, OK, and Delete Immediately. Select Delete Immediately, and the troublesome file (along with the new user and the disk space they used) will disappear. (If you just press OK, the files from the deleted user will still reside on your drive.)

:black:

BTW, OnyX has a secure trash empty option if you have it installed.
QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

I have done the user account option and I got the files to disappear but now when I try to delete the user account folder from the it says it can't.

When will the madness end. I did also try deleting it from the the guest account with administrator rights. I have also tried renaming this folder. FYI the folder show nothing its empty it says

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Did you reboot before this latest update in the situation?

In the Get info window the padlock need unlocking and you need to have full read write permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

Did that now and this is what I get with a folder with zero bytes and no items in it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Do you have OnyX?

If the Secure Delete in Finder doesn't erase that file, you could try downloading OnyX and running it. Repairing Permissions, Optimising System, Cleaning Caches and Securley Emptying the Trash are all done from within OnyX.
QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

Well no go on all of those I will just have to live with it I guess or til 10.5 get release the I will reformat again.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Hey pulse, it looks like the file is in use, so maybe not a permissions issue.

I bet a system startup item is putting a lock on the file. If I remember right, CS3 loads a third party kext for password security.

websyndicate, restart with the shift key down to safe-boot. Then try deleting the file again.

QUOTE Thanks
websyndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Hey pulse, it looks like the file is in use, so maybe not a permissions issue.

I bet a system startup item is putting a lock on the file. If I remember right, CS3 loads a third party kext for password security.

websyndicate, restart with the shift key down to safe-boot. Then try deleting the file again.
thanks so much giulio it worked safe mode did the trick. Out of the great effort and thank you everybody safe mode did the trick. I know it was only less than 1mb but, it does bother some of us thanks so much again to everybody and to giulio and this suggestion.:dive:
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Sweet, I was right?! [happy dance]

Glad I could help you out. I know that is really frustrating some times.

Hey mods - you know I'm thinking about asking for dontcha?! haha =)

[happy dance]

QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

For future reference, those foreign language "legal" files have been known to cause problems with Apple's disk utility software - in some cases rendering a machine unusable. Delete the entire "Legal" folder in each Adobe Application Folder.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« root password | Frontrow & login password »