New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - Classic to OS10

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

birddog59

birddog59 is on a distinguished road

Can you upgrade an older IMac running on Classic 9.0 to OS 10?

TIA
QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

ibookclamman300 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

you have to have the latest updates for 9. then you would need a VERY early version of 10 for installation.

Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

You'd probably need a boatload more RAM and a firmware update, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog59 View Post
Can you upgrade an older IMac running on Classic 9.0 to OS 10?

TIA
what mac in particular?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
birddog59

birddog59 is on a distinguished road

It is an Imac from the mid 90's that is used by my ten year old daughter. We have a G4 from 2003 running 10.2. So we could use the disc's from that possibly.

I have MacBook Pro that is running 10.4 tiger. You have to forgive my inexperience with Mac. I am forced to run windows at work and have way more experience with that.

Thanks for the insight.
QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

I think any imac could run 10.2 decently. You would need to max your ram though as stated above. Even a first gen. imac should do fine with 10.2. I would be skeptical to try any newer OS.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

iMacs can run OS 10.4 Tiger no problem!

We've got it on a 1998 233Mhz G3 here. Just install OS 9, upgrade to 9.2.2, upgrade the firmware and you're away. Bear in mind you will need an external DVD writer to install Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

^^^

well yes it can run it but I dont think it would handle as well as with 10.2 or 10.3. But yes all g3, g4, and g5 machines can run 10.4 (not always well though, as such with g3 machines).

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Birddog might find that each release of X would run faster than the previous one, probably because it's better optimized. That was the case with my G3. Panther ran faster than Jaguar, and Tiger faster than Panther, though more RAM was added just before Tiger was installed. Other posters have said the same.

But I've never seen X on any machine slower than my 350 megahertz G3.
QUOTE Thanks
unhappyending

unhappyending is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3 350MHz, 256MB Ram, OS X 10.3.9

Yes, you certainly can. You need at least 256MB's of ram to do it, you also have to do all the updates to the firmware also on 9 before you upgrade. You can find old OS X CD's for sale, around various places around the internet. But guessing you have a G3 iMac, get the CD's of 10.3 then upgrade to 10.3.9. I personally got a iMac G3 350MHz with 256MB and OS X 10.2 with classic installed. I found CD's of 10.3 installed it, and deleted OS 9 because I don't like OS 9 at all. I attempted to install a bigger HD, but I couldn't get the case open... Hope that helps and good luck to you.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog59 View Post
It is an Imac from the mid 90's that is used by my ten year old daughter. We have a G4 from 2003 running 10.2. So we could use the disc's from that possibly.

I have MacBook Pro that is running 10.4 tiger. You have to forgive my inexperience with Mac. I am forced to run windows at work and have way more experience with that.

Thanks for the insight.
You can't use an install disk from another Mac model, these are model specific.

If you really want to install OS X on your G3 iMac, you will need the full install disks (retail version): look at eBay and try to buy a copy there. And I would suggest Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther instead of Jaguar (10.2.x), Panther is much more stable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« User window opens on start up ... want to stop it | missing security in system preferences »