New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Reading Glasses Denial

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joyseeker

joyseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

into my second MacBook week.

i'm also still in denial as to really needing reading glasses.

not had much to complain about with this mac so far and it seems to be getting me to read text smaller then i would on the PC.

but apple seem to like small text...... particularly with some emails sent to me; some documents and web pages etc.

i've been shown how to use the zoom function in: apple> system preferences> universal access> Zoom on to enlarge the screen.

however i find moving round the screen to see text not as good as just having larger text in emails and web pages.

is there a way i can do this?
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

I know what you mean, Ebay emails seem to be the worst, very tiny fonts.

I've not found any option yet. I would move to Thunderbird if you can't bear it. Leopard may fix this.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If there is a way to change all system font sizes, I haven't found it yet, maybe someone else will know better than I.

But, with most all browsers (I use Opera) there is an option to change the text size of the page. In Opera, on the menubar go to View - Zoom and make your selection. It will zoom and reorder the page so you are not having to still scroll back and forth to read.
Firefox, is not quite as friendly, you would go to View - Text Size - Increase; you can do this several times untill you get the size you want.
Similar for Safari - View - Make text bigger; multiple times and you will also have to hit the green dot in the corner to resize the window also. Neither one of these anywhere near as friendly as Opera.

To change your desktop font size - click on an empty area of the desktop or open Finder - in the Finder menu go to View and open "Show View Options".

For Mail - in the Mail menu; click on Mail, then Preferences, then Fonts & Colors. Here you will have several options for font sizes.

Went through same as you several years ago now, eventually, you'll have to resign yourself to that fact that the eyes aren't what they use to be. Just wait until you find while shopping, you can't read any of the fine print and have to ask someone if they will read it for you. It almost seems humiliating and before long you'll have a pair for each room of the house, 2 extras stored in the car and at least one extra in the office desk because you can't seem to remember to put them in your pocket. And yes, you will still find yourself somewhere without them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

In your web browser open any page and press "command" + "+" and the font will increase in size. To make it smaller again, press "command" + "-"

Not sure about emails... if you use a web-based email provider then the same applies, but if not then it may work, it may not. I'm sure there is a way though.

Alternatively, you could change your screen resolution to a smaller size in System Preferences > Displays. That would make everything on your screen bigger, but not to the same quality standard.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
In your web browser open any page and press "command" + "+" and the font will increase in size. To make it smaller again, press "command" + "-"
Control-scroll-wheel up, and Control-scroll-wheel down does it, too, and not just in browsers.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyseeker View Post
i'm also still in denial as to really needing reading glasses.
I moved to a MacBook from an IBM ThinkPad. With the Pad I'd already needed reading glasses, so going to the MacBook was not a problem.

Go for the reading glasses. You won't regret it! :cool:

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

You could also add the text size button to your address bar. That's what I use. With safari open choose: View>customize address bar, I find this to work the best for me!
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (45.6 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post
You could also add the text size button to your address bar. That's what I use. With safari open choose: View>customize address bar, I find this to work the best for me!
Good one Dadsgravy. I was just going to take a screenshot of the same screen! Works for me.
QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Control-scroll-wheel up, and Control-scroll-wheel down does it, too, and not just in browsers.
i have no idea what you mean but this works great....

Quote:
thanks Leukeh etal

by the way.....

Quote:
dtravis7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy
Good one Dadsgravy. I was just going to take a screenshot of the same screen! Works for me.
how do you take a screenshot ..... or what used to be 'ctrl + print screen' on the PC?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

apple+shift+3 - will take an entire screen shot
apple+shift+4 - will take a shot of the current window

QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post

Not sure about emails... if you use a web-based email provider then the same applies, but if not then it may work, it may not. I'm sure there is a way though.

Alternatively, you could change your screen resolution to a smaller size in System Preferences > Displays. That would make everything on your screen bigger, but not to the same quality standard.
it also worked for mail.... but i have 'apple> system preferences> universal access> Zoom on to enlarge the screen.' ..... ON. (does that make a difference?)

great fan of Opera.... but sticking with Safari for now to test out the integration (but also seems faster then opera) .... never been so easy to mail pics i've found on the web or forum threads for that matter.

on a high.

js
QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfreap24 View Post
apple+shift+3 - will take an entire screen shot
apple+shift+4 - will take a shot of the current window
but how do i paste to docs and mail or forums or save to a file?

:mail:
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
i have no idea what you mean. . . .
When I hold down the Control key down while moving the mouse's scroll wheel up, the screen image enlarges. When holding the Control key down and moving the scroll wheel down, the image shrinks back to normal.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
but how do i paste to docs and mail or forums or save to a file?

:mail:
In forums, you'll need to use the Manage Attachments button (see screenshot Forum.png below) below the reply box. This will open a pop-up window where you have to chose your file by navigating to it, click on the Upload button (see screenshot Forum2.png below) and, once the upload is done (you can close the pop-up window at this point), click on the Submit Reply button below the reply box.

In emails, in Mail.app you need to use the Attach button (see screenshot Mail_attach.png below).
Attached Images
File Type: png Forum.png (29.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Forum2.png (24.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Mail_attach.png (22.5 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Oh and I forgot about the Finder settings to make text bigger...

Click on the desktop to get to Finder and in the menubar, click on View -> Show View Options, you can set the text size under the folders.

If you open a folder, the Show View Options window changes and you can set the text size in all the folders on your Mac.
Attached Images
File Type: png Finder_desktop.png (64.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Finder_folder.png (106.6 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I install Mac OSX on my old imac? | Any Mac Desktop Add-Ons?(icon lists?) »