New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.0 - Please answer - ALL OS Versions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brownhead

brownhead is on a distinguished road

Hi Mac users - I am actually conducting a quick survey of how many users have had their security compromised using the Mac OS vs Windows. I have my own feelings on this but need to hear from all of you. Thanks in advance.

Please...if you can note your OS version and simple description of what happened. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

I have had my MBP for almost 5 wks now and nothing has been compromised. OS X 10.4.9.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

I've had Macs for 16 years, and started on the net with BBSs, using my first Mac, an LC, running System 7.x. Neither it nor any of the other machines — more specifically, their Mac systems (I ran Windows under Virtual PC), I've had since have been compromised.

I used a Mac anti-virus program running in the background (pre OS X) for a couple of months in '94 or '95, then trashed it. But using free AV apps, I occasionally would check for viruses but never found one.

Now with OS X (at the moment, 10.4.9) on a dual 1-GHz G4, I use the firewall along with its two "advanced" settings, but I hardly ever check for Windows viruses in emails on the premise that Windows users can dig and flood their own moats.

Five or six years ago, running System 9.2 on the Mac side of a G3, I ran Windows '95 under Virtual PC for a while because I had to learn more about Windows than simply running it, and almost immediately experienced the joy of entertaining uninvited guests. After a few months I killed Windows permanently.

In 16 years, only Windows viruses have tried to take up residence, and none of them, of course, could do anything to the Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

2 years on a mac now.. operating systems 10.3. - 10.4. Powerbooks, Macbook Pros, and Quad G5's. All systems never had a problem with security or any thing else for that matter.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I've had no security issues on my Mac under OS X as far as I know. The only issue was a trojan under XP/Parallels a few weeks ago.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

My father is a retired school teacher and has used Apple computers from day one. I have used them for 15+ years. Both of us have NEVER had our security compromised with any Apple computer.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I've used the Mac OS ever since 1996 and never got any malware of any kind.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

MS from DOS 6.0, Win 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP Pro - have never had a virus on any of my personal machines. Did have one phone home piece of Spyware that infected one of my XP boxes about 3 years ago now, though it was never able to call home.

My wife's machines are another story. I take the time to set her up with the same security stuff as mine. Don't know what she does, but she can't keep her home machine running smoothly for longer than about 3 months at a time. The worst I've found on one of her machines at one time was 43 viruses and 128 pieces of Adware/Spyware. Had a couple I just couldn't get rid of, so format and start over time it was. (edit: not exaggerating here either, and have another friend that can put my wife to shame by the time he brings me his box once every 6 months)

OS X - too early to tell, but I have no protection running on my MBP except the hardware firewall and the internal firewall. Wouldn't dream of doing this with my XP machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Not a problem here. Been running Macs since OS 6.0.1, 7, 8, 9. Never had a problem with any of them in any way. Ran 10.1 for a while, 10.2 for 2 years, 10.3 for years and 10.4 since it came out and never had any security issues. Not one and I am a power user and always on the net. All my systems are networked with many PC's on the network also.

Truthfully I don't have many security issues with XP or 2k either, but I am very careful and knowledgeable about security.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhead View Post
Hi Mac users - I am actually conducting a quick survey of how many users have had their security compromised using the Mac OS vs Windows. I have my own feelings on this but need to hear from all of you. Thanks in advance.

Please...if you can note your OS version and simple description of what happened. Thanks again.
You know, I have a real problem with new members who, on their first post, are just gathering information - especially security information - without providing any of their own. Who are you? This is your first post. You have nothing in your profile. Why don't you tell us about yourself and why you want the information?

A new member trying to weigh the benefits of Mac versus Windows is certainly welcome! Someone joining and just asking for potentially sensitive information without giving anything in return gets my attention. Looks more like a social engineer than a member to me.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I've used practically every version of the Classic Mac OS from System 7, and every version of OS X since 10.0.3. No compromises.

I did get worried for a while around 1998 when the Hong Kong/Autostart worm was going around, but I took preventative action and was never affected.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

To date, I've had no reason for concern with my Mac. I have a NAT firewall provided by my Linksys WRT54G and the standard OS X firewall, operating in "stealth" mode.

And to be truthful, I've never had a serious issue with any of my (personal) Windows machines, aside from the occasional adware/spyware (nothing ever serious).

As a network admin for a large business running mostly Microsoft products, I have seen a handful of compromises in my time (8 years) there. The MS Blaster worm was probably the worst - it infiltrated our network fairly quickly, but fortunately McAfee VirusScan Enterprise saved our bacon. Although the same machines would get reinfected because they hadn't been patched, McAfee would dutifully remove the infection each time (fortunately we had the foresight to continuously update our DATs on a daily basis). Aside from that, our shop has remained fairly clean, as we learned our lesson and became more diligent about patch management.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

on mac OS X for the last 6-7 months, nothing.

on windows 98, a couple virii and trojans. also my wife had an autodialer trojan (if it's even a trojan) disable our ethernet and try to dial out on a modem on a desktop we had (which was luckily not plugged into anything).

nothing on XP for a few years.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Always used Macs, over 17 years or so, never have been compromised in anyway. Used one PC with Win98 when I was in college, and sharing files with classmates, I had a virus problem once that made my computer slow down to crawl. For the life of me could not figure out why, since I was a Mac user, it made no sense to me. My cousin finally told me I must have gotten a virus and had to reinstall the OS. To me, I only once or twice reinstalled any Mac OS, and that was mostly because of a personal choice to do so, not because of instability problems. Spent the better part of a Saturday reinstalling Win98, and other programs I needed, including Office. My cousin gave me a copy of a Anti-virus program to install as well. Not even a month went by and I was back in the same situation. I went out and got myself Word for the Mac.
I installed Linux on the PC and played with that for while, eventually sold the PC, and have never purchased another one.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I got caught with the sasser virus on my old Windows 98 SE box, never had an issue on any of my Macs...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac doesn't turn on - kernel panic | disk repair won't verify »