New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - No Leopard? No problem.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Ran into this handy little article today that describes the aftermarket utilities that perform almost exactly the same functions as the features touted in Leopard. I thought you might find this useful - particularly to point newbies toward who might have been waiting for Leopard to make the switch:

http://macnewsonline.com/wp/2007/04/...rd-no-problem/

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That list really shows that Leopard, as it currently stands, isn't much of a compelling upgrade. Virtual desktops is the only really neat feature, and I've already got it in Tiger in the form of VirtueDesktops.

Let's hope WWDC brings some really good reasons to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

the creator of virtuedesktop said he isn't going to continue it, and the current version is quite buggy. I'll read the article later though
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That list really shows that Leopard, as it currently stands, isn't much of a compelling upgrade. Virtual desktops is the only really neat feature, and I've already got it in Tiger in the form of VirtueDesktops.

Let's hope WWDC brings some really good reasons to upgrade.
The rumor mill has it that there are a plethora of "top secret" features. My hope is that they introduce a little more customization of the GUI (in terms of colors, styles and themes). There are also plenty of rumors about improvements to Spotlight. Those who have been reading my posts for some time know that I really wish it had a more thorough "search everything" type of feature, where it actually dredges the entire drive including hidden and system files. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Tiger.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

No Leopard No cry!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The rumor mill has it that there are a plethora of "top secret" features. My hope is that they introduce a little more customization of the GUI (in terms of colors, styles and themes). There are also plenty of rumors about improvements to Spotlight. Those who have been reading my posts for some time know that I really wish it had a more thorough "search everything" type of feature, where it actually dredges the entire drive including hidden and system files. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Tiger.
I read about a way from the Terminal to use Spotlight to search all the hidden and system files but it's been so long ago since I tried it, I forgot how! Will see if I can find it again. If so will post it here. It worked though.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

dtravis ... it's all Greek to me but are you thinking of this?

10.4: Configure Spotlight to index excluded directories from MacOSXhints.com.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Having seen Leopard in action (there are plenty of YouTube clips showing final release) it doesn't look as though there are any great surprises, but I'd love to be proven wrong. However better 64-bit support and optimised dual-core code will make it a great OS for the new C2D chips and probably a worthy upgrade.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I read about a way from the Terminal to use Spotlight to search all the hidden and system files but it's been so long ago since I tried it, I forgot how! Will see if I can find it again. If so will post it here. It worked though.
Thanks, I did find this handy little app called EasyFind that does exactly what I'm describing. I just wish Spotlight had a checkbox or something that would force it to do a comprehensive search, rather than a simple query to its index.

QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Yes, Leopard has some features that are available now with 3rd party applications. But in Apple's way of doing things when they come out in Leopard they will be much better than a 3rd party add on, and more integrated into the OS.

Let's also not forget about all the new features Leopard has under the hood, just CoreAnimation alone is worth the upgrade.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Agreed. It's hard to say "everything from Leopard is available today" when we don't even know everything that will be in Leopard. :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

The only compelling thing about Leopard right now to me is the system-wide TO-DO service. I find it quite silly right now that I can't create an iCal event from an eMail.

I'd love to have the ability to create an event and reference the Email message to it.

It's more stuff like this I want in Leopard, before I find myself forced into using Office 2008, which seems to be awfully attractive.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstalled Bootcamp, now bootup is much slower? | Locking Documents Folder? »