New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Tiger or Leopard


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
rew70

 
Member Since: Apr 18, 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 13
rew70 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5

rew70 is offline
Currently running Panther on my G4 at home (G5 w/ Tiger @ work) and thhinking of upgrading to Tiger. Do I just wait for Leopard or will I need Tiger to get Leopard?

I saw a site the other day that had Tiger for $79 and now of course cannot find the site. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
You won't need Tiger in order to upgrade to Leopard. When it comes out, you can just go and pick up a retail copy and upgrade your system.

If you want to wait for Leopard, keep in mind that it won't be released till October.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 4,714
NanoBite is an unknown at this point

NanoBite is offline
You won't need Tiger to be able to then upgrade to Leopard, when it's released. What is important is that the Mac you intend upgrading to Leopard has the necessary minimum specs.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,561
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Do I hear an echo?

If your home system is running well, if I were you, I'd just wait it out until Leopard is released. No use in upgrading this late in the game.

(Wow - this is the first time I think I've told someone to actually wait for Leopard!)

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

 
PapaNoHair's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,180
PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

PapaNoHair is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew70 View Post
Currently running Panther on my G4 at home (G5 w/ Tiger @ work) and thhinking of upgrading to Tiger. Do I just wait for Leopard or will I need Tiger to get Leopard?

I saw a site the other day that had Tiger for $79 and now of course cannot find the site. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
I just went thru this same decision-making process. I decided on Tiger - if you decide to do that, you can get a good price at yourmacstore.com.
QUOTE Thanks
rew70

 
Member Since: Apr 18, 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 13
rew70 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5

rew70 is offline
Thanks, I decided on Tiger and grabbed one off ebay. Hopefully it will do the trick. I'll definitely upgrade to Leopard when it comes out.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

 
thrinfo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2007
Location: St-Jerome (Quebec)
Posts: 23
thrinfo is on a distinguished road

thrinfo is offline
I got a G4 with 400Mh and 1.5gh ram, which processor I can upgrade and I'm with the OS_X 10.3.9, can I upgrade to an higher OS, if so wich one.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

 
Member Since: Jan 27, 2007
Location: *Brisvegas*
Posts: 5,658
the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

the8thark is offline
It should run 10.4 just fine. But I don't think it meets mhz cpu requirements for leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

 
ki99's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 31, 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 926
ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

ki99 is offline
yea, leopard needs a minimum of a G4 with 867MHz.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Ordered Leopard | Disk Utility taking way too long to clone iPod »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard (question for reference) Left Face Down Switcher Hangout 20 04-08-2010 07:51 PM
Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard? ART OS X - Operating System 6 02-18-2007 05:58 PM
Tiger now or wait for Leopard? Pigchops OS X - Operating System 2 02-04-2007 05:36 PM
Leopard vs. Tiger Dwayner OS X - Operating System 12 01-08-2007 03:30 PM
price of Tiger after Leopard dolphin01 Schweb's Lounge 6 12-24-2006 12:22 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?