New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Heartbroken over late release of leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riley

riley is on a distinguished road

Hello to all. I am a new member having just registered this A.M. Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I am new to this. I just want to say that i'm heartbroken that the new leopard is not to be released until october. I have never had a Mac but have heard how wonderful they are. I saved my money and had planned on buying a 24" upgraded imac as soon as they are released. I was told to wait for the leopard so i guess i have no choice. I now use windows xp and am a little fearful of learning a new system. Maybe you guys could let me know if it will take me long to become accostomed to the mac and if i will enjoy it as much as people are telling me. Your input is appreciated. Did i mention that i'm not too computer savvy and want a computer that does not give me a hard time, constantly crash and is fairly easy to learn. It's not like i'm asking it to make my breakfast. I just want to enjoy it. Thanks to all. Glad i found this site.
QUOTE Thanks
fluffer

fluffer is a jewel in the roughfluffer is a jewel in the rough

Welcome riley, can't help with the complicated stuff but I can make a mean breakfast

Er, that isn't a come on btw!
*digs another hole*

In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Hello and welcome Riley!
As Leopard hasn't been released yet I'd say that many of the good things you heard about macs were related to Tiger. It really is a great OS and if you're prepared to learn something new and different (Some say better...) to Windows then you'll pick it up in no time. And now you're here at Mac-Forums you have 24hr tech-support :black:
Quote:
I was told to wait for the leopard so i guess i have no choice.
I don't get this part, who told you?
I'd say get yourself an iMac now, you won't regret it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

There's still a bit of 'Roar' left in the old Tiger, yet ... and it won't eat you for breakfast!
QUOTE Thanks
riley

riley is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply. Nice to know someone is watching over me. I guess the only thing i'm concerned about as to purchasing a imac now rather than waiting for leopard is will i be spending a lot more money to upgrade to leopard. Also what will it entail to switch to leopard and how complicated would that be? I want Apple to install all the upgrades and have everything in sync so i don't have to remove, delete, and finagle, (hope that's a word) when installing leopard. I guess i,m used to all the hassles i've had using windows xp. Thanks Moss 918 you seem very knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

finagle is a word! it's one of my favorites!

the upgrade should be easy enough, but it will cost you 129 bucks US.

if you want a mac though, don't let that hold you back. you don't need to switch from tiger to leopard the day it comes out (i know plenty of people here, including myself, are in no big rush).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Heartbroken? We had to have our dog put to sleep last August - now that was heartbreaking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oscar2.jpg (457.0 KB, 7 views)

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Leopard is very hyped and definitely not worth any heartache, or be a factor in you delaying buying a Mac.

OS X is evolutionary, not revolutionary and going by past history, Leopard won't be massively different from Tiger.

And talking of Tiger - it's still the best operating system out there. It's specifically easy to use and built so well it rarely crashes anything. No spyware, no viruses - it's everything Windows Vista should have been.

Have a look: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm with these guys too, Riley. I wouldn't trade the macs I work with here at the office for anything...Tiger (and Leopard) are worth it. After having to work on Windows XP for so long at a prior job, it's nice and relaxing to not have to worry about my office's OS.

Don't let the delay keep you from purchasing a Mac...you won't regret getting one! :batman:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« assigning keyboard shortcuts | Virtual serial port puzzle »