New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Upgrading standard account to an Admin account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Woomba

Woomba is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Recently I was trying to install World of Warcraft on my old G5 iMac in my dorm, when I noticed that I still had a standard account left over from when I used the computer back home during Highschool. I know I can reset the admin password with the install CD, but that is back home, and I'd rather not have to call my Dad to have him mail it to me, or having to call Apple for a new one. Back int he OS 9 days, I remember there was some sort of executive password that allowed access to the system, (I once got locked out when I was smaller and called up the Apple extended warranty people), and was wondering if there was a similar mechanism in OS 10.4.9, or do I have to get the CD again?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Woomba
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

you will need your install media, to reset the pass word.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Woomba

Is there a place I can download this media and burn onto a disc? Or will I have to call up Apple or my dad to ship it to me?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Yes to the latter.
QUOTE Thanks
Woomba

God I wish the good ol' password reset days of OS 9 ... My understanding of the *nix family is slightly shoddy, but I'm pretty sure there is not way to remotely access the root account with it being disabled right?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The only way your are going to reset the pass word or create another admin user is with the install media. You need the admin pass word to create a new admin. You need the install media to rest the pass word. So your only choices here is to buy a full install of 10.4, borrow a copy from a friend or request your father to send the media to you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external hd/partitions | Unlocking locked settings? »