New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Initial bootup problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FuZion

FuZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.4.9... iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

This one's happened approx 10 times in the past couple of weeks.

When I switch my iMac on ,after a few moments (After the horn sound) a blue screen pops up with a grey box in the middle (It has a picture of a power button behind it) tellng me & 3 other languages that the system needs to be switched off by holding down the power button or pressing the reset button.

One time, the message came up 4 times in a row. I ended up leaving the machine off for 15 mins then coming back to it before it booted.

At a guess I'd think the system isn't shutting itself down properly, but it really is just a guess.

For a bit of extra info. I've tried quitting any running apps manually before shutting down the system & it has happened after that too.

Any guidance on this one peeps?

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

That's a kernel panic.

Usually caused by bad RAM.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

Cheers for the quick response but I sure hope it's not. This is quite a new machine, about 7 months old & being new to Mac I haven't even entertained the thought of opening the devil up.

I have just been looking at another thread on slow booting which is something else I've been having troubles with as times gone by. I've just give the whole thing a once over with OnyX. When verifying, OnyX said I needed to use the Disk Utility to repair my drive. Disk Repair has just told me this:

Quote:
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair
However, the "Repair Disk" buttons remains disabled. Repair Permissions, Verify Permissions & Verify Disk are all clickable, but not Repair Disk... Handy eh...

How can I go about applying this repair?

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Boot your system using the install media and then run the disk utility application from there.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

Would that be one of the 2 CD's that came with the system?

I think I spotted that somewhere else. Disc 1 seemed to boot straight into installing the system without any other options. Or am I in the wrong place?

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZion View Post

I think I spotted that somewhere else. Disc 1 seemed to boot straight into installing the system without any other options. Or am I in the wrong place?

FuZion.
Let us know the outcome.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZion View Post

FuZion.
That's exactly where you're supposed to be. Choose your language and then look for the bar at the top and find Disk Utility under one of the options (I forget exactly which one, possibly Tools). Then you should have the option of repairing your disk.
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

Cheers Kash, I never spotted the Utility menu up there. Ok, my HD has been repaired using Disk Utility.

My Mac had to have the last laff though didn't it. I used the menu to quit installation, I was asked what I wanted to do so I selected "Restart" & the same screen came up as in my first post saying I needed to switch off my Mac & restart it. As with before, once Mac OS came up, a window popped up saying Mac OS had quit unexpectedly.

Is there a way of finding out what is actually going wrong during the shutdown or startup procedure to try & find the cause of this?

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« display and charger trouble! | USB Drive not showing in finder window »