New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Intalling Mac OSX on a non-apple computer

Thread Closed

Choobus

Choobus is an unknown at this point

I am thinking of loading Mac OSX on my old PC. Can you format the hard drive (deleting XP) and load Mac OSX, or does Mac OSX only work for Apple computers? Also, if I was to build my own PC from scratch, could I load Mac on it? If so, how? Thank you.
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

It only works with a Mac. Doing otherwise is illegal.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

TECHNICALLY, it's possible. Unfortunately, it's also illegal except for a few rare circumstances (developer box provided by Apple).

It's against the OS X EULA to install the operating system on non-Apple hardware. So the only way to do it would be illegally, which we don't discuss here.
Choobus

Choobus is an unknown at this point

I was mostly meaning, lets say, I get a new hard drive. Instead of loading XP, I load Mac. Will it work?; or will I have to do lots of changes to my computer?
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The important thing is here is it's totally against the rules here at Mac Forums.
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choobus View Post
I was mostly meaning, lets say, I get a new hard drive. Instead of loading XP, I load Mac. Will it work?; or will I have to do lots of changes to my computer?
The hard drive and formatting won't matter. It is not possible to natively install any legal, retail version of the OS on a non-Apple computer.

There really isn't any more that can be said about it and there isn't any reason for this thread to continue.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Closed

« Kid Account and System Integrity | Verifying The Startup Disk. »