unclebones
    Question Ok.... probably a daft question but....
    I am running os9.2.1 on a g3 powerbook and I want to upgrade to osX (10.1) - however as I do not have CDRW or a zip disk or one of them usb disk things I am facing limitations on the amount of stuff I can back up.
    Is their any way of installing X without initializing the HD or can anyone suggest a way i could back up the important files I need.
    Cheers Matt.

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebones
    I am running os9.2.1 on a g3 powerbook and I want to upgrade to osX (10.1) - however as I do not have CDRW or a zip disk or one of them usb disk things I am facing limitations on the amount of stuff I can back up.
    Is their any way of installing X without initializing the HD or can anyone suggest a way i could back up the important files I need.
    Cheers Matt.
    I'm not certain about 10.1, but 10.2 and 10.3 (Jaguar and Panther) do offer such an option. Is there any reason why you'd prefer 10.1 over the newer versions?
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebones
    Cheers Matt.
    You can do an "upgrade" but it will produce a much slower, and possibly less stable system with a lot of wasted HD space. Your best bet is to buy an external hard drive, or use a network cable or something and dump your important data onto another Mac or a PC temporarily, install Panther, and then dump it all back over again.

Also, I'd recommend 10.3.3, not 10.1.

unclebones
    Think I'm sorted now!
    Also, I'd recommend 10.3.3, not 10.1.[/QUOTE]

I know but I've only got a copy of 10.1 I had for an Imac I used to have and I ain't got the money for a new one so sadly it's 10.1 for me. (unless the upgrades free?) However I have managed to back up my data using an ancient CDR drive borrowed from a friend so all's well. Thanks for the help though, it's good to see cos on a lot of boards people ignore the dumb posts like mine so thankyou!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If you are on OS X 10.1, download and install Mac OS X Combo Update 10.1.5. This is the last update to 10.1 series.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

PowerbookG417
    or just go out to your local computer store buy an external hard drive bring it home copy of the stuff you want then upgrade dump it back...then later that day or the next day...take the harddrive back and say it wouldnt hook up to your computer..or say the wife got mad that you bought a new toy and instead of spending the next 2 weeks on the couch your brining it back.

Matt
    Go panther, not 10.1

Thread Information