New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

switcher.mac

switcher.mac is on a distinguished road

Hello...

With all the talk about Leopard I'm wondering what upgrading might be like. Coming from windows I'm wary of upgrading unless it's from home to pro. I wouldn't upgrade from 2000 to XP, I'd reinstall.

Does anyone have any guesses on what the upgrade process from 10.4.9 to 10.5 might be like, or how smooth it might go?

And, any suggestions on whether to upgrade right away or if it's better wait a while?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Put in DVD. Restart holding C. Choose whether to wipe and install, or save all your programs and files and install.

Wait.

You have the new version of OS X installed.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by switcher.mac View Post
Hello...

With all the talk about Leopard I'm wondering what upgrading might be like. Coming from windows I'm wary of upgrading unless it's from home to pro. I wouldn't upgrade from 2000 to XP, I'd reinstall.

Does anyone have any guesses on what the upgrade process from 10.4.9 to 10.5 might be like, or how smooth it might go?

And, any suggestions on whether to upgrade right away or if it's better wait a while?
I understand your concerns - my background is both Windows and various flavors of Linux and upgrades always used to concern me. Not anymore - I just upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.9 and it was the easiest one I have ever done.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Archive and Install will leave your profile and files intact, while installing the new version of OSX. When you reboot, your files and folders, even your network settings and desktop backround will be as before.

Clean Install will simply install a new copy of the OS. When you reboot you will have to create a new profile and then move your stuff from your old profile to the new one.

Neither will delete your files, profile or even the old version of the system. You will have to remove all of those manually. A file backup is recommended, but I have never done one and never had any problems.

A Wipe will obviously reformat your hard drive and wipe your data clean. This requires you to backup all of your data or lose it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Various Programs Crashing | Buying New Hard Drive: Need to boot from External Drive »