New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - need help trbl shoot'g apps crashing on MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

My friend's MBP is chronically crashing apps.
  1. It's new, 12/2006.
  2. It was cloned from her PB
  3. She's running 10.4.7
  4. These are some of the programs that are crashing: Mail, and various design apps
  5. It started a few weeks ago and is getting worse.
  6. the first thing to crash was Mail after it gave her error messages about fonts
  7. When they crash she is forced to run disk repairs before being able to reopen them.
  8. She's currently trying to find her OS disk and Disk Warrior to help fix it, but hasn't found them yet.

In the meantime I thought it could be faster to ask here.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I have a feeling she probably imported stuff that do not run in Rosetta.

Can she create a new user account and see if the crashing happens in the new account as well? In the new account, needless to say she should not import anything from her old account to make this test conclusive.

If it does not happen, the problem is in her usual account. If it does happen, then problem is system-wide or it is an application that is used by all user accounts.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I have a feeling she probably imported stuff that do not run in Rosetta.

Can she create a new user account and see if the crashing happens in the new account as well? In the new account, needless to say she should not import anything from her old account to make this test conclusive.

If it does not happen, the problem is in her usual account. If it does happen, then problem is system-wide or it is an application that is used by all user accounts.
hehehe. I think you just told someone else the same thing. Should I have just followed that advice instead of starting a new thread?

But I digress. What is "Rosetta?"

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Rosetta is a software emulator that allows older Mac programs to run with the new Intel processors that are now being used.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcronin View Post
hehehe. I think you just told someone else the same thing. Should I have just followed that advice instead of starting a new thread?
*Snip*
It's the standard procedure when you suspect a software conflict, it isn't easily identified and you want to find out quickly if the problem is all over the place or if it is just localized.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
It's the standard procedure when you suspect a software conflict, it isn't easily identified and you want to find out quickly if the problem is all over the place or if it is just localized.
Tanks, folks. Now I just gotta get her on here to read this. Be back soon.

Becky
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

It would be best to back up her Documents, Photos, Music, etc... to a DVD or server or something and then copy them over to a fresh install on her MBP. That way no settings from the PowerPC-based system mess up programs running on the Intel-based MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

She ended up getting a new logic board. She's been spending the last week transfering her files and waiting for adobe to release the new suite so she can get stuff working. Do other people find that adobe's apps don't work so good on the intel processor?

Becky
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcronin View Post
She ended up getting a new logic board. She's been spending the last week transfering her files and waiting for adobe to release the new suite so she can get stuff working. Do other people find that adobe's apps don't work so good on the intel processor?
its because that until this month adobe products have not been native to the intel macs

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Master browser requests causing SBS 2003 domain errors | Can't Install OS X due to missing receipt »