New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Trash Auto-Delete STILL Plaguing my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacSinceWayBack

MacSinceWayBack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook & iMac 21"

I have a problem with my trash can automatically emptying anything I put into it, iow it no longer functions as a safe 'holding bin'. I have received two replies with two different programming instructions. One was "rm -rf ~/.Trash" then "killall Finder" which had no effect. The other was "mkdir~/.Trash" then "sudo chmod 700~/.Trash" which prompted the following message:

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:"

The password area for some reason is non-responsive. Need I add that I am totally new to OS X? and am unused to getting into the guts of the programming?

What can I do short of reinstalling the whole OS?

Feeling Daunted
Mark in HD
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSinceWayBack View Post
I have a problem with my trash can automatically emptying anything I put into it, iow it no longer functions as a safe 'holding bin'. I have received two replies with two different programming instructions. One was "rm -rf ~/.Trash" then "killall Finder" which had no effect. The other was "mkdir~/.Trash" then "sudo chmod 700~/.Trash" which prompted the following message:

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:"

The password area for some reason is non-responsive. Need I add that I am totally new to OS X? and am unused to getting into the guts of the programming?

What can I do short of reinstalling the whole OS?

Feeling Daunted
Mark in HD
It's actually not non-responsive. It's supposed to keep on looking like a solid gray box one character wide.
QUOTE Thanks
MacSinceWayBack

That I did not know. THANK YOU Discerptor! So, NOW I have this:

usage: chmod [-fv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a [i][# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...

Should I reboot? I haven't rebooted for daaays and my trash can is still eating everything I put in it.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

This is intriguing, because your trash bin is behaving as if you have Compost installed:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macg...post/index.php

This is another link where it explains that a size limit put on Trash Can will empty it out Automatically. In his case, he prefered it that way. Maybe you can find out where to look for problems.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...61022114138978

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
MacSinceWayBack

Many thanks to those forum members who advised me on this problem.

Your time and efforts are appreciated even though, unfortunately in this case, they were to no avail. I did, however, find the solution outside of this venue. It was suggested by a member of another Mac forum, one who, ironically enough, designed a script to do precisely what my MacBook was doing without one. Mr Armstrong directed me to the following URL:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.ht...or-Files-46919

It was the key to it all.

Thank you, again.

MacSWB
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

glad you got it solved, and thnx for posting back the resolution

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSinceWayBack View Post
Many thanks to those forum members who advised me on this problem.

Your time and efforts are appreciated even though, unfortunately in this case, they were to no avail. I did, however, find the solution outside of this venue. It was suggested by a member of another Mac forum, one who, ironically enough, designed a script to do precisely what my MacBook was doing without one. Mr Armstrong directed me to the following URL:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.ht...or-Files-46919

It was the key to it all.

Thank you, again.

MacSWB
Great link. You never know when I may need it.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you tried running the disk utility application and repair permissions?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Verifying The Startup Disk. | New upgrade, still no passwords... »