Does OS X Have sound schemes? - Where?
    Sorry for the very basic questions, but I've only had my iMac running OS X for 2 evenings and I'm struggling to get up to speed with it, and find out what it does and where everything is.

Also, my 1st Apple Mac ever so it's all very different.

I've seen talk of sound schemes (those little noises which accompany events - menu up, close, startup, shutdown etc etc)

All I can find to set is the Alert Sound.

Do we have Sound Schemes in OS X ?

Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    Nope.
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

There's at least one shareware or freeware app that'll do it, but I don't remember it's name. If you run searches for sounds I think on macupdate.com or versiontracker.com, you might find it.

Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

Ah right....

Simple Answer then

I'm using XP now (sorry) and am jumping to and fro to my Imac with OS X trying to find out all about it.

I know apple say it's "The most advanced OS in the world" or something like that, and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on it.

Appreciating of course, that I've been so used to Windows for so long that anything different is going to appear difficult to use at 1st, but I'm determined to stick with it, and find all the benefits of OS X.

Of course, during this period, I'm bound to be able to do something in Windows and wonder how I can do the same in OS X. So please forgive if I seem to ask some daft (for a mac user) questions, which may seem obvious to you

Back onto topic. Oh, that's odd taking sounds out, as I'm sure they existed in OS 9.2. Seems an odd thing to remove them?

I run 9.2, as well as X. I haven't loaded it from a disk in years (and I can't find it), but I'm almost positive that 9.2 and its predecessors wouldn't do it without a third-party app.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    I run 9.2, as well as X. I haven't loaded it from a disk in years (and I can't find it), but I'm almost positive that 9.2 and its predecessors wouldn't do it without a third-party app.
    Well, I'm confused now.
    I know if I said to put balloon help on (in 9.2) there were funny noises as the baloons popped up all over the place!

Perhaps the previous owner had installed something 3rd party?

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    I think OS8.5+ had sound themes built into the Appearance manager.
    You can convert those sounds into something that can be used with Xounds from unsanity. But unsanity makes them all available for free on their site. So have at it!
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Specs:
    Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
    There was an app for system 7 and on add on (control panel?) called kaboom which did lots of funky stuff with sounds. I remember having my mac play all sorts of sounds on startup, restart and shutdown

You're right. There are a bunch of sounds in 9.2, and I forgot about them completely, so rep to you! Balloon Help has them, too, one of them being a sharp blooping/popping sound.

OS X has some, as well. The pic on the left is of 9's Appearance control, as mentioned by giulio. The one on the right is X's Sound pane. But there's no Balloon Help in X — a good thing.

The only excuse I can think of for my lapse is the third-party apps that added to Apple's sounds.

(I have a sound of Silence as an alert, in case that volume is turned up accidentally. It was turned up in the pic because I thought it might have to be to hear the other sounds.)

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    stonysleep I was trying so hard to remember that name - Kaboom!! I remember their logo (parrot) but not the name haha. Xounds does the same thing. But of course modern / better.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Thread Information