New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - Does OS X Have sound schemes? - Where?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tempest

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the very basic questions, but I've only had my iMac running OS X for 2 evenings and I'm struggling to get up to speed with it, and find out what it does and where everything is.

Also, my 1st Apple Mac ever so it's all very different.

I've seen talk of sound schemes (those little noises which accompany events - menu up, close, startup, shutdown etc etc)

All I can find to set is the Alert Sound.

Do we have Sound Schemes in OS X ?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Nope.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

There's at least one shareware or freeware app that'll do it, but I don't remember it's name. If you run searches for sounds I think on macupdate.com or versiontracker.com, you might find it.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Xounds

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Tempest

Ah right....

Simple Answer then

I'm using XP now (sorry) and am jumping to and fro to my Imac with OS X trying to find out all about it.

I know apple say it's "The most advanced OS in the world" or something like that, and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on it.

Appreciating of course, that I've been so used to Windows for so long that anything different is going to appear difficult to use at 1st, but I'm determined to stick with it, and find all the benefits of OS X.

Of course, during this period, I'm bound to be able to do something in Windows and wonder how I can do the same in OS X. So please forgive if I seem to ask some daft (for a mac user) questions, which may seem obvious to you

Back onto topic. Oh, that's odd taking sounds out, as I'm sure they existed in OS 9.2. Seems an odd thing to remove them?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

I run 9.2, as well as X. I haven't loaded it from a disk in years (and I can't find it), but I'm almost positive that 9.2 and its predecessors wouldn't do it without a third-party app.
QUOTE Thanks
Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
I run 9.2, as well as X. I haven't loaded it from a disk in years (and I can't find it), but I'm almost positive that 9.2 and its predecessors wouldn't do it without a third-party app.
Well, I'm confused now.
I know if I said to put balloon help on (in 9.2) there were funny noises as the baloons popped up all over the place!

Perhaps the previous owner had installed something 3rd party?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I think OS8.5+ had sound themes built into the Appearance manager.
You can convert those sounds into something that can be used with Xounds from unsanity. But unsanity makes them all available for free on their site. So have at it!

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

There was an app for system 7 and on add on (control panel?) called kaboom which did lots of funky stuff with sounds. I remember having my mac play all sorts of sounds on startup, restart and shutdown
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

You're right. There are a bunch of sounds in 9.2, and I forgot about them completely, so rep to you! Balloon Help has them, too, one of them being a sharp blooping/popping sound.

OS X has some, as well. The pic on the left is of 9's Appearance control, as mentioned by giulio. The one on the right is X's Sound pane. But there's no Balloon Help in X — a good thing.

The only excuse I can think of for my lapse is the third-party apps that added to Apple's sounds.

(I have a sound of Silence as an alert, in case that volume is turned up accidentally. It was turned up in the pic because I thought it might have to be to hear the other sounds.)
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

stonysleep I was trying so hard to remember that name - Kaboom!! I remember their logo (parrot) but not the name haha. Xounds does the same thing. But of course modern / better.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo of my desktop - Can you explain a few things | Dock stopped animation »