Warn before quitting applications???
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here, just joined because I'm looking for help with one simple/stupid question:

How can I get my computer (2006 iMac w/OS 10.4.9) to give me a WARNING MESSAGE before quitting applications? Such a simple request, and yet I can't figure out how to do it! I remember my old, old little mac from the 80's had this option, and it could be adjusted from the system preferences. I've been searching this computer for an hour now and can't figure it out.

I use keyboard commands for everything I can, and occassionally quit some program (Firefox, etc.) by accident, when I only mean to close a window. SO FRUSTRATING!

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide...

Welcome to Mac-Forums, joeboebigtoe!

Quitting an app is not the same keyboard shortcut as closing a window.

Quitting is: Command (or  key) + Q

Closing a window is: Command (or  key) + W

Well, come to think of it those two keys, Q and W, are pretty close together though...

I don't think you can set that as a preference if it hasn't been written in the program. Maybe someone knows a Terminal trick to turn it on?

North NJ
    i dont have no mac's
    i dont think that there is a way around this, although i do know that somewhere out there is a firefox type feature that will warn you when you quit and you have more than one tab open in safari

this does happen to me but not very often at all, my only suggestion realy is to take that extra 1/2 second to make sure you hit the correct button or just use your mouse to close windows and keyboard shortcut to close programs

MoTM honor roll...
    i dont remember

Brooklyn, New York
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    I sympathize with you mate, but I also don't want to go back to the way Windows warns you about every little action. 'Are you sure you meant to press ctrl-alt-del-*-Q-Z-T' you might have done that by accident, right?

Apple-Q and Apple-W are too close together, I know, but why close windows anyway, just use expose.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Thread Information