New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - urgent major help needed please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

Okay, so i've spent probably 20-30 hours on my new MBP (from XP) organising everything like converting my Outlook items and organising my music and photos, walpapers and general setting.

Sp last night we have a power cut and the network (wireless) goes down. this isn't really a problem, when i go to shut down it says something like 'unable to connect markstuartspiro (.mac account). this freezes for about 20 mins, and me being paranoid of battery running out (and not being able to charge for god knows how long until power comes back) i remove the battery, place it back in, go to bed. I wake up boot up and EVERY SINGLE setting has been deleted. EVERYTHING. from widgets to finder items. my desktop to dashboard. my itunes and iphoto librys have gone and everything else. on the plus side i still have my data, but as i'm sure you can all imagine.

does anyone know how to restore all of this?> thanks

mark
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I had a power outage while I was using my iMac G5 and the only way I found to get it back (I was stuck on the grey Apple logo screen, fans blasting full tilt after a while...) was to fix the directory with DiskWarrior. I tried repairing the hard drive with Disk Utility, nothing doing. The only thing that saved the day was DiskWarrior in the end.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I gotta get myself that DiscWarrior ... sounds like an essential part of the troubleshooting arsenal ...
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

thanks very much. i've already started installing the OS again though as it didnt work for me. ill install this program when i finishing installing. thanks again.
mark
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Mark be aware that it has to be the right version for your OS (so make sure requirements are met) and DiskWarrior has to be installed either on an external hard drive, if you buy the downloadable version or you'll need to buy the CD version.

DiskWarrior will not work if it is installed on the same drive it has to repair. I'm not even sure if you can use it from the same hard drive as the targeted disk to repair but from another partition, so...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A far-fetched request... | Warn before quitting applications??? »