New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Various Programs Crashing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chronophobia

Chronophobia is on a distinguished road

Hello -

I have been experiencing the following problem(s). It seems that when a program needs to access the hard drives at certain times, an error will occur that causes the program to crash.

Here are some instances that cause crashes:
  • Mail crashes when I try to attach a file.
  • Garageband crashes when I try to save a new session to anywhere but the default location.
  • Grab crashes when I try to save a captured image.
  • iPhoto crashes when I try to Export images.
  • Additionally, X11 will not launch.

Other than these errors, the drives seem to be in perfect working order. I've repaired preferences, repaired disks, and tried unmounting all unnecessary volumes and yet the same errors occur.

Any words of wisdom or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm running 10.4.9 on a 1.25 GHZ G4 Powermac (Mirrored doors) with 3 internal hard disks.
QUOTE Thanks
Chronophobia

Could I be the only one in the universe to have this ailment?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Create a new user account and see if the problem persists in that account as well. If it does, it means the problem is system-wide or is due to a program that every user on the Mac uses. If it does not happen in the new account it means that you have some file(s) that are corrupted in your old account and it makes it unstable.
QUOTE Thanks
Chronophobia

Unfortunately, the errors still occur on a brand new, fresh account. I'm screwed.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

This is probably due, like I said to some app you installed for every user on the Mac and it creates a big conflict.

One thing you could try is download MainMenu (you'll easily find it in google or in this forum as it has been discussed a bijillion times) and run all the deep cleaning, rebuilding and maintenance tasks, restart and see if the system is a bit more stable.

Good luck. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tiger on pc | Upgrading OS X »