Preview questions, Panther..
    Specs:
    Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
    i am using panther on my imac and love it. I am still a very inexperienced mac user and have a few questions. How do you perform the mac version of a hard drive clean up ie. (old internet files, cookies, etc etc)? I am using preview to look at the pictures I upload from my digital camera but I cant seem to get the Preview program to be able to scroll through the pictures in large screen mode without closing the large window and then reopening it with a different picture from the folder where the pictures are stored. Win xp has a back and forward arrow that allows you to look at the pictures in full screen mode and navigate through the folder that you have the pictures set up in. I know my wording is ambiguous at best but as I said, I'm new to mac so dont have all the lingo down just yet..

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. As to the pics, did you import them to iPhoto? That's what I do.. Welcome to Mac and the forums!

Wapa18
    well as for the old internet files, caches, and all that, if u're using safari you can go to the Safari menu and choose "Empty Cache". or you could use a program called Cocktail, which can do a lot of that stuff for you, or also a lot of people suggest MacJanitor. you could find either of these at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com.

Chamorro
    Also, to remove cookies in Safari, go to File>Preferences>Security>Show Cookies>Delete All.

Specs:
    Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
    Thax alot you guys, that was just what I was looking for.

Specs:
    Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
    Do any of yo know how to password protect certain folders so that if Im using a p2p or soemthing, they cannot open these unless they have the correct password?

TylerMoney
    ummm...filevault?...but I've been told not to use that...slows down everythng...cause it's encrypting it every time.....though I'm sure there are programs that do individual folders...without causeing so much downtime....

btw, I'm guessing your from Texas?..where in Texas?....I was born and raised in Austin....and still "live" there, though I'm going to school in Pittsburgh PA.

Specs:
    Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
    Yeah, I'm from San Antonio (about 60 miles south of Austin) I'm sure you know but for others that dont..I got up to Austin on a weekly basis to hang out with some friends and hit up the lovely Austin music scene. You're too far away from home IMHO..

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasmeat
    Do any of yo know how to password protect certain folders so that if Im using a p2p or soemthing, they cannot open these unless they have the correct password?
    The best way I know is to create a separate user - - this is the main beauty of a Unix type system! Keep that or those files in that users name with its own password. As Admin or Root you have total control of read/write permissions to all files. So as an example, a file can be kept under your user name and only you can read/write to it. Or you can make it so another user can read only. For details open Finder and select Mac help from th top bar menu and type keychain

Wapa18
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasmeat
    or you could create an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility in the Applications>Utilities folder. just create one big enough for all the files you want to protect, make it password protected, and drop all your files in it.

TylerMoney
    Yes. Good ol San Antonio. Use to go there a lot more..went during christmas. I am indeed too far from home...but in 1.5 yrs, i shall return to the scenery and music, and friends and family, and goodness of Austin, and the rest of Texas. It's too damn cold up here.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerMoney
    ummm...filevault?...but I've been told not to use that...slows down everythng...cause it's encrypting it every time.....though Pittsburgh PA.
    I am using the file vault on my user and root. Slows nothing that I can see but you better :eek: not forget the backup password!! :p

Specs:
    Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.
    I agree with Wapa18. MacJanitor is awesome. Everyone should use it

TylerMoney, I know what you mean about it being too cold on the East Coast.

Central New York gets really cold too. In fact, there was a freak snowstorm here last Sunday. It was bizarre.
    "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.

Thread Information